What is Establishment?

Carpenter Wayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend that helped me in my conception of this insane hobby world we call the reefing hobby, were having a discussion on what does establish tank mean. Seems to be the go to line in response, when asking any type of question pertaining to a reef tank, along with what are your parameters. Well the latter question is easy, you test some water samples, then walla you have the numbers for the parameters, but how in the heck do you test for establishment or know when a tank has been established. This establishment I'm referring to is not when you first fill your tank with water, plug in the equipment and plop a fish into a tank. Established tank, what does that mean in the reefing hobby for us?

Here is my rendition after pondering and doing some research.

The chemistry side of things are stable in an established tank system. Meaning no more swings or spikes in water chemistry (nitrite, ammonia, calcium, phosphate, etc.) caused by a small or simple change in something, affecting another. Pest algae are no longer poping up out of control, due to chemistry swings, which also puts out false water sample readings. Pest algae absorb the beneficial minerals needed in order for a healthy tank system to thrive. When pest algae are kept at bay, a good clean-up crew can keep what pest algae are in a tank system, in check. Once those pest algae are under control, this allows phytoplankton, copepods, algae spores and other nutritional factors the ability to reproduce and grow, using the minerals the pest algae once consumed.
To sum up the definition of established tank: one that has balanced its self out, re-creating its own eco system. Something that can not manipulated without time. With time an eco system may be recreated in a tank system, obtaining an established tank.

Fill free to tear me a new one. Love to hear other reefer's rendition of "ESTABLISHED TANK".

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about right. Established tanks are only established until, well - something decides to royally mess with you (disease, parasite, act of God, etc.)

It’s kind of akin to saying “this is the last fish/coral/invert I’m going to add dear, honest”.

OP
OP
Carpenter Wayne

Carpenter Wayne

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds about right. Established tanks are only established until, well - something decides to royally mess with you (disease, parasite, act of God, etc.)

It’s kind of akin to saying “this is the last fish/coral/invert I’m going to add dear, honest”
Not sure if you can be in this hobby without ever saying that last part to your significant other.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you can be in this hobby without ever saying that last part to your significant other.
Another way of saying your tank is established is that your significant other no longer rides your case over the tank (in part because you may have finally stopped adding anything). ;)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.6%
Back