What is going on gete

tinytanya7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow fish lovers,

I am recovering from my first tank crash (velvet took out all my fish). I admittedly let my tank go a bit after the loss of my babies. I currently have a hermit crab and cuc

I have lots of Aptasia, bubble algae, and this weird green bush looking thing. As well as lots of disgusting looking worm/ centipedes.
How can I get this tank back into shape? Should I remove the green bushes/ worms

should I ditch my rock and corals to make sure I have absolutely no velvet in my tank?
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To address the velvet issue first, if you run a proper fallow period for the tank, the velvet in your tank will not be able to infect your fish - so there’s no need to chuck the rocks and corals. Jay Hemdal here on R2R has some great info on fallow periods that I’d recommend looking at. To prevent velvet or any other disease from getting into your tank again after a proper fallow period, you’ll need to quarantine and treat your new fish prior to putting them in your display tank again. Jay Hemdal also has a lot of great info on QT and prophylactic (preventative) and veterinary treatments that I’d say to look at too.

Now, to address the other issues: the bush is probably some kind of macroalgae, so as long as it doesn’t get too out of hand, I wouldn’t be too concerned about it, but it may be wise to remove what you can. Hopefully someone else can help more specifically with that one than I can.

For the bubble algae, you can manually remove it, and/or you can try emerald crabs, pithos crabs, foxface fish, and/or tangs to control it.

For the Aiptasia, there are a bunch of different methods for manual removal that you can read up on here on R2R, or you can get some berghia nudibranchs and/or peppermint shrimp and they should eat them.

The centipede worm things seem to just be bristle worms from what I can see - they’re ugly and not something you should touch barehanded, but they’re actually beneficial CUC members. So there’s no need to remove them, but if you want to reduce their numbers, wrasses love to eat them.

The tank will need some elbow grease to get running again, but it’s not a lost cause.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
as suggested, a fallow drips would clear up the velvet issue.

to address the bubble algae, some emerald crabs and manual removal will help. they may help with that wire algae(i believe this is what that is)

bristle worms, once the fallow period ends, you can get a wrasse (if tank is big enough), or invertebrates like the arrow crab, bumble bee snail, or coral banded shrimp

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back