What is this on my fish?

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days ago I noticed large ball shaped growth near the mouth of my clown. Today it has even larger one behind his fin. This is definitely not ich or Velvet. The fish acts normal, swims normal, eats a lot.
1000000768.jpg
1000000743.jpg

Attachments

• 20240402_185950.mp4
    7.8 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This looks (especially if a new fish) - like lymphocystis, a viral disease with no treatment, and will go away - but - it would be interesting to know your quarantine protocol, etc.

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks (especially if a new fish) - like lymphocystis, a viral disease with no treatment, and will go away - but - it would be interesting to know your quarantine protocol, etc.
This is my first reef tank, its active for 2 months (after the nitrogen cycle was complete), and these are the only two fish that i put inside 2 moths ago. I don't have QT tank, and I haven't done any qt with these fish. Is this thing contagious and how serious is it?
Thank you in advance

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
2 days ago I noticed large ball shaped growth near the mouth of my clown. Today it has even larger one behind his fin. This is definitely not ich or Velvet. The fish acts normal, swims normal, eats a lot.
1000000768.jpg
1000000743.jpg
1000000768.jpg
1000000743.jpg
Im seeing a wound as these fish rarelky get lymphocystis. Please post another video to confirm of at least 20 seconds as 5 seconds is not enough

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's lymphocystis - which I believe - it will heal with good water conditions. If as @vetteguy53081 says - at least 2 (or 3) wounds are active - an antibiotic would be a good idea. With no symptoms - I can't turn those lesions into a wound with infection. I could clearly be wrong - and - you're watching the fish - we (unfortunately) are not - any updates?

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a longer video of the fish. It acts pretty normal.

Attachments

• 20240402_220114.mp4
    47.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is an odd location for Lymphocystis - but it might be. However, I saw this fish shying away from the larger one. I think more likely that this is an injury from fighting.

The clown is breathing a bit fast, is your water testing out o.k.?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you and based on size and location, I rule out lympho

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is an odd location for Lymphocystis - but it might be. However, I saw this fish shying away from the larger one. I think more likely that this is an injury from fighting.

Curious - because more than a couple have asked - How can you tell if something is an infection - and if so - whether it needs to be treated or not (as compared to 'just' an injury?

OP
OP
Gligor

Gligor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's his spot, I wouldn't say he's shying away from the female, but every once in a while he gets bullied by her. About the breathing, they are breathing like that since I got them (they are about an inch big). I have very good surface water agitation, a lot of flow, but for testing I have a basic stripe test kit that is not very accurate.
Ammonia - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 0
gH - 10
kH - 8
Ph - 7.8
No phosphate test kit
Salinity 1.024
Thank you and based on size and location, I rule out lympho
Thank you. Should I try to remove the fish and treat it with something?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That's his spot, I wouldn't say he's shying away from the female, but every once in a while he gets bullied by her. About the breathing, they are breathing like that since I got them (they are about an inch big). I have very good surface water agitation, a lot of flow, but for testing I have a basic stripe test kit that is not very accurate.
Ammonia - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 0
gH - 10
kH - 8
Ph - 7.8
No phosphate test kit
Salinity 1.024

Thank you. Should I try to remove the fish and treat it with something?
How are you testing water?
Disregard Nitrite which plays a role in Freshwater

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - because more than a couple have asked - How can you tell if something is an infection - and if so - whether it needs to be treated or not (as compared to 'just' an injury?

There is no clear way to tell, but watch for secondary symptoms (rapid breathing, not eating, etc.) as those are a sign that the problem is more than just a simple injury. I also watch for lesions that are growing larger - typically, a simple injury will heal and grow smaller. if it gets larger, then I suspect an infection. Finally, bacterial infections are usually "subtractive", that is, the lesions may grow in size, but in doing so, the fish's tissues are consumed, so a "hole" can develop. Lymphocystis and some fungal diseases are "additive", that is, the lesion's mass seems to grow as the infection continues. Sometimes, color changes of the lesion may be involved, but that isn't always clear to me.....

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back