Fuzzy growth on clown tail / missing part of tail.

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello recently I have noticed my smaller clown is missing part of his tail and it has little fuzzy spots on it. It looks very odd and I’m wondering what it could be / how do I treat. The fish is still eating and acting as normal. I don’t think it’s ich or velvet. Initially I thought lympho but not sure.
Thanks so much.

IMG_1866.png IMG_1860.jpeg IMG_1856.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello recently I have noticed my smaller clown is missing part of his tail and it has little fuzzy spots on it. It looks very odd and I’m wondering what it could be / how do I treat. The fish is still eating and acting as normal. I don’t think it’s ich or velvet. Initially I thought lympho but not sure.
Thanks so much.

IMG_1866.png IMG_1860.jpeg IMG_1856.jpeg

If it were just a bit of the fin that was missing, I would say another fish tagged it and it shouldn't be an issue. However, the white growths around it look like a secondary bacterial infection. That also may heal itself, but if not, you would need to put the fish in a treatment tank and medicate it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on bacterial and Jay stated broad spectrum.
Suggestion is Seachem Kanaplex is a separate quarantine setting. Other would be Ruby rally pro which will take longer to work and treat. I would go with Kanaplex and consider and acclimation box to place the aggressor in as needed before it causes more severe damage to other fish in the future

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it were just a bit of the fin that was missing, I would say another fish tagged it and it shouldn't be an issue. However, the white growths around it look like a secondary bacterial infection. That also may heal itself, but if not, you would need to put the fish in a treatment tank and medicate it with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic.

Jay
Thank you very much. I set up my qt and will give it a little more time and see if it heals on its own otherwise I will get kanaplex

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree on bacterial and Jay stated broad spectrum.
Suggestion is Seachem Kanaplex is a separate quarantine setting. Other would be Ruby rally pro which will take longer to work and treat. I would go with Kanaplex and consider and acclimation box to place the aggressor in as needed before it causes more severe damage to other fish in the future
Thanks a lot as always man. I’m not sure who is the aggressor I think it may be the female clown mate. They started laying eggs a few months ago. Hmm.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks a lot as always man. I’m not sure who is the aggressor I think it may be the female clown mate. They started laying eggs a few months ago. Hmm.
Clown would be my suspect also

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clown would be my suspect also
I’m getting worried I have my qt tank ready but I can’t catch the clownfish. I have bought two traps tried everything. I have too much corral and hiding spots. Can I dose kanaplex to display or try soaked medicated foods with focus ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting worried I have my qt tank ready but I can’t catch the clownfish. I have bought two traps tried everything. I have too much corral and hiding spots. Can I dose kanaplex to display or try soaked medicated foods with focus ?
You can’t just soak food in medication, you won’t get a proper dose. There is a way to do it correctly, but it is complicated:

Dosing Kanaplex in your display will kill off more bacteria than just the targeted ones. Kanaplex also has toxicity issues with some species of fish, and invertebrate toxicity is not well known.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can’t just soak food in medication, you won’t get a proper dose. There is a way to do it correctly, but it is complicated:

Dosing Kanaplex in your display will kill off more bacteria than just the targeted ones. Kanaplex also has toxicity issues with some species of fish, and invertebrate toxicity is not well known.
I have red your qt protocols and meds so closely in the past. I got confused with the medicated food portion but I’ll give it a go. Can you treat fin rot via medicated foods or must it be in the water column in another tank ? I won’t risk kanaplex in my display tank. But wondering can I treat tail rot via mediated foods with kanaplex and focus in display ? I thought medicated foods were for internal problems.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have red your qt protocols and meds so closely in the past. I got confused with the medicated food portion but I’ll give it a go. Can you treat fin rot via medicated foods or must it be in the water column in another tank ? I won’t risk kanaplex in my display tank. But wondering can I treat tail rot via mediated foods with kanaplex and focus in display ? I thought medicated foods were for internal problems.

Medicated foods are best used for internal issues. External bacterial infections in fish are best treated by dosing the water with antibiotics. I only mentioned it because you had said you might try medicated food.....

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Medicated foods are best used for internal issues. External bacterial infections in fish are best treated by dosing the water with antibiotics. I only mentioned it because you had said you might try medicated food.....
Thanks so much. I’m happy to say I was able to catch the clown in its sleep. Will the tail grow back ? I have it in qt and dosed kanaplex. I’m unsure what to do if it was caused by the female clown. They started laying eggs 4 months ago. Been together almost 4 years.

Attachments

• IMG_2012.png
    IMG_2012.png
    408 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. I’m happy to say I was able to catch the clown in its sleep. Will the tail grow back ? I have it in qt and dosed kanaplex. I’m unsure what to do if it was caused by the female clown. They started laying eggs 4 months ago. Been together almost 4 years.

With fish tails - if the hypural plate (the tail bone) is damaged, the fin won't regrow. In your picture, it is really too close to say if the plate was damaged too much (right at that lower portion is the issue). My guess is that this fin will mostly regrow, but there might be a bit along the lower edge that won't totally come back. Still, unless infection sets in, the fish will be fine, if a bit deformed.

Jay

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so with nems looking good , all water quality questions eliminated yes

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back