Worms on White Tail Kole Tang

therealblobfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this fish for 2 weeks and it is eating and breathing normally. I noticed some lympho on its left side a few days ago but it has mostly gone away except for a small patch on its left fin. Now I see swelling in front of its pelvic fin on the left side with white worm-like growths coming out of the swollen part. If anyone has any insight as to what this could be please let me know. Any treatment recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0110.jpg IMG_0112.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have had this fish for 2 weeks and it is eating and breathing normally. I noticed some lympho on its left side a few days ago but it has mostly gone away except for a small patch on its left fin. Now I see swelling in front of its pelvic fin on the left side with white worm-like growths coming out of the swollen part. If anyone has any insight as to what this could be please let me know. Any treatment recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thes appear to be trematodes which are flatworm type of worm or a less common round worm known as piscicolidae Worm. If true, they are treatable with formalin based medication which is rare/hard to acquire but a diluted 37% solution would be one treatment. PraziPro and General cure should also work and more readily available.
Is fish eating and pooping normal?

@Jay Hemdal - thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those look like mucus strands to me - possibly from an injury. While they do look wormlike, they are different shapes and sizes. Flukes are generally invisible, while fish leeches are segmented and have suckers.

There is also that larger white patch behind its pectoral fin.

There could be a secondary bacterial infection cooking here. What other fish are in with it?

OP
OP
therealblobfish

therealblobfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look like mucus strands to me - possibly from an injury. While they do look wormlike, they are different shapes and sizes. Flukes are generally invisible, while fish leeches are segmented and have suckers.

There is also that larger white patch behind its pectoral fin.

There could be a secondary bacterial infection cooking here. What other fish are in with it?
I have 2 clowns and a royal gramma as well as a starry blenny. The tang has been somewhat territorial with the blenny so that could be the cause of the injury.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns and a royal gramma as well as a starry blenny. The tang has been somewhat territorial with the blenny so that could be the cause of the injury.

Maybe, but I wouldn't expect those fish to cause the tang this much damage.

Are you seeing any flashing/scratching? That is the most common symptom of flukes.

I'm just concerned there is some secondary bacterial infection going on. However, those cannot be treated in a display tank.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back