What is going on with my Yasha Goby?

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R,

About 2 days ago I put my first fish in the tank, a small Yasha goby. I picked him up from the store, and temperature/drip acclimated him before introducing him to the tank. Upon introduction, he freaked out and had very fast breathing which eventually calmed down. He also pooped twice on day one.

He spent most of the first day chilling on the sandbed with some light swimming /exploring, which I thought was weird since they are supposed to be in hiding. My tank has plenty of available hiding spots.

The second day he was much more inactive, mostly sitting in one spot out in the open on the sandbed, only making small turns here and there, maybe moved a total of 30cm in the whole day.

It's now day 2 in the tank, and he is laying next to the glass motionless. He is breathing, and he even grabbed a few pieces of the frozen brine shrimp that I tried to feed yesterday, in total about 3-4 pieces.

The tank is 35g with a HOB filter, in which I have AquaForest Life Bio Fil to help with the filtration. I have a piece of the live rock in the tank as well, and the tank parameters are stable.

Included are two videos, one is how he usually looks, and the second one is feeding time. He gets a bit active when feeding, and he ate more today than he did yesterday, but I am still super worried, since he doesn't react to being scared or the pipette when feeding, I could probably just pick him up if I wanted to...

Please help!!!

Tank parameters are:

Salinity 1.025
Ammonia 0-0.15
Nitrites 0-0.5
Nitrates 5
Temperature is 77

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

EDIT: Here's two more videos, he started to move a little bit after feeding today, so I hope that's a good sign!

EDIT2: Youtube links

Attachments

• video-1655106753.mp4
    418 KB
  • video-1655107279.mp4
    985.9 KB
  • video-1655108108.mp4
    1.9 MB
  • video-1655108194.mp4
    3.8 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How did you acclimate it and for how long?
Did you equalize salinity?

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you acclimate it and for how long?
Did you equalize salinity?
Temperature (floated) / drip acclimation, 45 minutes.
Salinity 1.025 in the tank, the store said they keep it at 1.025 too. I'm using the large Tropic Marin Hydrometer to check salinity.

He is eating way better today, picked up 10-15 pieces of brine shrimp and flakes from the water column, but is still pretty much in one place. He started swimming up a bit to get food. I made another thread, but it was in the wrong place so I reposted here. That was also almost 48h ago, before any feeding.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Salinity 1.025 in the tank, the store said they keep it at 1.025 too. I'm using the large Tropic Marin Hydrometer to check salinity.

He is eating way better today, picked up 10-15 pieces of brine shrimp and flakes from the water column, but is still pretty much in one place. He started swimming up a bit to get food. I made another thread, but it was in the wrong place so I reposted here. That was also almost 48h ago, before any feeding.
They are bashful at first
Seems normal

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I add a shrimp goby I dig him a burrow under one of the rocks if no pistol shrimp is in the tank already. It might help with his "insecurities". They pair well with pistol shrimp. Usually the shrimp digs the hole and the goby lives in it. Good luck!

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I add a shrimp goby I dig him a burrow under one of the rocks if no pistol shrimp is in the tank already. It might help with his "insecurities". They pair well with pistol shrimp. Usually the shrimp digs the hole and the goby lives in it. Good luck!
I am picking up a Alpheus Randalli for him, the Candy Cane pistol shrimp. I made sure there is a lot of holes and caves under rocks, but he is not interested in anything, just sits out on the sand bed. He spent the night in one of the caves, looking half-dead...that was the first night I got him.

Maybe he feels safe because he's the only fish in the tank....but I'm not so sure that's what's happening here, he just seems super shocked.

Only time he "wakes up" is to "hunt" for the food...he seems hungry so I guess that's good. I'll try feeding him again in a few hours.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am picking up a Alpheus Randalli for him, the Candy Cane pistol shrimp. I made sure there is a lot of holes and caves under rocks, but he is not interested in anything, just sits out on the sand bed. He spent the night in one of the caves, looking half-dead...that was the first night I got him.

Maybe he feels safe because he's the only fish in the tank....but I'm not so sure that's what's happening here, he just seems super shocked.

Only time he "wakes up" is to "hunt" for the food...he seems hungry so I guess that's good. I'll try feeding him again in a few hours.
Don't underestimate the overall shock on a fish of shipping - store - transfer - acclimation - etc., I had a geometric pygmy hawk that go shipped in and it took him a solid week before he acted somewhat normal and a few more days to exhibit any type of "perching" behaviors. Adding the shrimp should help him acclimate more, the shrimp is almost blind and they form an odd couple pair. They are SUPER cool to watch interact. When they bond the shrimp will flutter underneath the goby and rub his butt on the goby's belly (it can happen all at once or take a few days). Once that happens they'll be friends for life and inseparable.

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't underestimate the overall shock on a fish of shipping - store - transfer - acclimation - etc., I had a geometric pygmy hawk that go shipped in and it took him a solid week before he acted somewhat normal and a few more days to exhibit any type of "perching" behaviors. Adding the shrimp should help him acclimate more, the shrimp is almost blind and they form an odd couple pair. They are SUPER cool to watch interact. When they bond the shrimp will flutter underneath the goby and rub his butt on the goby's belly (it can happen all at once or take a few days). Once that happens they'll be friends for life and inseparable.
That's good to hear, it gives me hope that the little guy will be just fine. The goby/shrimp symbiosis is actually what got me interested in reefing in the first place, I just love the small bottom dwelling gobies and shrimps. I am supposed to pick the Alpheus Randalli after work, I hope he helps him out with the acclimation.

Thank you for your response, really appreciate it. Hope you have a great one! <3

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good to hear, it gives me hope that the little guy will be just fine. The goby/shrimp symbiosis is actually what got me interested in reefing in the first place, I just love the small bottom dwelling gobies and shrimps. I am supposed to pick the Alpheus Randalli after work, I hope he helps him out with the acclimation.

Thank you for your response, really appreciate it. Hope you have a great one! <3
Don't blink....usually when I add a pistol shrimp I turn around and they are already shacked up. I think I've only seen it once and I had to stare directly at them for 10 minutes. lol. Pistol shrimp are bound with GLORY PURPOSE to bulldoze. The shrimp will want to keep his antennae on the goby at all times.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to add - frozen adult brine shrimp is not a good diet for this fish - some of the shrimp will be too large, and then, it may break them apart while eating them, causing the internal nutrients to leak out and not be eaten. Then, adult brine shrimp is a poor long term diet in any event. Live baby brine would be good if you can do that, or really small TDO pellets. When you see it eat flakes, make sure it isn't taking them in and then spitting them back out, all broken up, that can happen.

Jay

OP
OP
seaofbytes

seaofbytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add - frozen adult brine shrimp is not a good diet for this fish - some of the shrimp will be too large, and then, it may break them apart while eating them, causing the internal nutrients to leak out and not be eaten. Then, adult brine shrimp is a poor long term diet in any event. Live baby brine would be good if you can do that, or really small TDO pellets. When you see it eat flakes, make sure it isn't taking them in and then spitting them back out, all broken up, that can happen.

Jay
Hey Jay, thanks for the response. I'm I also am feeding frozen mysis, but he seems much more interested in the baby brine shrimp. I mixed up a small pinch of crushed flakes in the mix aswell, he did eat a few small pieces.

Will get some smaller pellets today as well, hope that works out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay, thanks for the response. I'm I also am feeding frozen mysis, but he seems much more interested in the baby brine shrimp. I mixed up a small pinch of crushed flakes in the mix aswell, he did eat a few small pieces.

Will get some smaller pellets today as well, hope that works out.
You might try dicing up the mysids with a razor blade so that they are in smaller pieces....

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back