What is growing out of my coral

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I'm a newb. I added my first few corals about 3 weeks ago. In my excitement, I totally forgot about dipping them. Lesson learned, I'll do better next time. I've noticed a few things growing out of one of them. Any idea what they are?

Thanks!
Brett

coral-7004.jpg coral-7005.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in the middle at least seems like it may be a Coral-boring Spionid Worm; the others I can't tell for sure beyond recognizing the algae growing there.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are both of those the coral boring spionid worms, or just the thing with the one with two smaller things sticking out at the top?

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what, this coral is tiny, and was free. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is just get rid of it. It's not really even that cool looking.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are both of those the coral boring spionid worms, or just the thing with the one with two smaller things sticking out at the top?
I can't say for sure, as the tall one looks similar to the smaller one with the worm's palps (the two tentacles on the worm's head) sticking out, but it's really tall for a regular spionid tube.
You know what, this coral is tiny, and was free. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is just get rid of it. It's not really even that cool looking.
If they're just on the one side of the frag, you may be able to just frag them off.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the coral out to have a closer look, and I found these fellows. These looked unfriendly, so I culled the coral.

Are these vermetid snails? What do I about these (whatever they are)?

vermetid-7032.jpg vermetid-7035.jpg vermetid-7034.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled the coral out to have a closer look, and I found these fellows. These looked unfriendly, so I culled the coral.

Yeah, those are vermetid snails, and most people would recommend removing them. You can scrape them off, crush the bottom of the tube with pliers, etc. to get rid of them.

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled him out of the trash, removed the vermetid snails, and put some drops of CA glue on the other two worm looking things. Now all that's left on this Noah's Ark of a coral is this feather duster. I think the feather duster is neat, so hopefully he's ok.

Is the feather duster a problem?

duster-7041.jpg duster-7043.jpg

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's actually a barnacle - but no, neither barnacles nor feather dusters are problematic; they're both harmless filter feeders.
Great!

How do you know? What features give it away?

Are there any good reference texts or anything that can help with critter identification?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great!

How do you know? What features give it away?

Are there any good reference texts or anything that can help with critter identification?
Feather dusters fan out into a circle rather than a semi-circle/rake-shape like you'll see with barnacles. Feather dusters also have tubes while barnacles have sort of globe/mound-shaped shells they live in. Also, barnacles will make a very distinctive feeding motion where they'll curl their cirri (the feeding appendages you see in your pics) into their holes like a hand curling into a fist.

For reference texts:
For other ID's, I tend to be pretty intense about figuring things out, so I'll go combing through a number of different databases to find something that matches or points me in the right direction if I'm not sure on the ID to start. The thread below lists most (I'm sure I've forgotten one or two) of the databases I use and has some info on them/using them:
That said, some ID's are easy, others are very difficult, and there's a lot of in between; for a lot of the easy ones, I'd recommend the threads below, but for the others time/experience, learning about marine life generally, extreme attention to detail, and occasionally a taxonomic key are what you need. (I've found that when first learning to try and ID various organisms, I would start looking at some type of organism - like starfish for example - and I'd see one that I thought looked like a match, but with more experience now in trying to ID starfish, I sometimes look back at my early efforts and facepalm a bit, because I can now readily tell that some of what I thought were matches were definitely not; all this to say that sometimes we start a bit "faceblind" (for lack of a better term at the moment) to different organisms - so they can all pretty much look the same even when they're obviously different - and experience attempting to ID/differentiate them helps with overcoming that).

The threads:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Here I see spinoid with the palps, spirobid worms and what looks like vermetids

OP
OP
BrettE

BrettE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spiriopids are ok too right? I hope so because I’m starting to see them everywhere.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back