Is it too early for me to add coral?

Chris H Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All,

I have a 75 gallon tank that has been up and running for just about a month. I currently have just 2 clowns in there.

I'd like to slowly add a few more fish soon but my question is can I add a few easy to keep corals too? I'm thinking about adding GSP (on an island rock) and maybe some zoas. I have not hit the ugly stage yet since I haven't turned the lights on yet. If I get a few corals and turn the lights on will the ugly algaes that I'm sure are coming take over my corals and kill them?

Just curious what everyone's thoughts are about adding corals to a new tank.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want, start with a leather.

See how it does, and if it is continuing to do well after 2 weeks, maybe another easy soft coral.

With the tank being that new, you can't guarantee a coral will do well. I put corals in my tank at around the month mark, and they are doing great. This is just my experience though.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add coral until the lights have been on for a few weeks. Other's will have differing opinions.

More importantly, you need to decide what type of coral that you wish to keep. GSP, Zoas, leathers, mushrooms, and other soft corals can be very invasive if you are going to have a mixed reef or wish to keep SPS.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply a risk.
Water cannot be stable yet.
So you run the risk of losing them.

Zoa a bad idea IMM, maybe a leather or GSP but these things take up large amounts of real estate and can defend their space.

But so many do which keeps the LFS in business.

mdpitts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the risk of being considered an idiot I'm going to say that when I started my first saltwater tank this past October (I've been freshwater planted for years) I did research but I guess not enough and I started with a fish and a few corals after a week. Then went nuts from there. The question I asked my LFS is "Is this a beginner coral?" when I saw something I liked and if the answer was it is easy to keep - I bought it.

My tank was only 12ish gallons and I faithfully do weekly water changes but I haven't had any problems and I'm surprised at how all the things are thriving. I have softies, zoas, 2 BTA's, a chalice, frogspawn and toadstool, an elegance, birdsnest and something the LFS said could be a pocillapora (sp?) but it was a sad, broken, tiny frag and now it is putting out so much growth, anyway, I have a lot more than that and am about to upgrade because I'm out of room.

My point is - I believe that if you take really good care of your tank you will be fine. Or maybe the stars just aligned for me. Then again a 75 is probably a whole other ball game. Maybe in a year I'll look back on my reply and cringe...

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%

Back