Is this coral bleaching?

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the name of this coral is, but a small section is turning white and the polyps arent opening. Is it getting too much light/flow?

IMG20240401123912.jpg IMG20240401123902.jpg IMG20240401111334.jpg

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Back and forth: Seoul, South Korea to Florida
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
the coral you're talking about is called a gorgonian. they're soft corals and with the exception of a few, mostly photosynthetic.

i have several, very large, purple and tan gorgonians in my tank, and ive never actually had any of them "bleach" before. however, it is possible— gorgonians can, have, and will bleach out.

this usually happens if they're exposed to air for a prolonged period of time (like during a water change, or during fragging, etc.). warm water temps, and any contact with algae (especially cyano) will negatively effect the coral, too. but, just keep an eye on it. if it starts to peel, or you see flesh sloughing off of it, or melting/disintegrating, then its dying. but the extended polyps on each branch in your pic, means it's still decently healthy.

the small section you're seeing could also be new growth that hasnt quite colored up, and the polyps havent quite matured yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the coral you're talking about is called a gorgonian. they're soft corals and with the exception of a few, mostly photosynthetic.

i have several, very large, purple and tan gorgonians in my tank, and ive never actually had any of them "bleach" before. however, it is possible— gorgonians can, have, and will bleach out.

this usually happens if they're exposed to air for a prolonged period of time (like during a water change, or during fragging, etc.). warm water temps, and any contact with algae (especially cyano) will negatively effect the coral, too. but, just keep an eye on it. if it starts to peel, or you see flesh sloughing off of it, or melting/disintegrating, then its dying. but the extended polyps on each branch in your pic, means it's still decently healthy.
Thank you! I'm so bad with coral names :grinning-face-with-sweat: I'll have too keep an eye on it:)

Torch Town Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Back and forth: Seoul, South Korea to Florida
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
no worries, no worries!
im such a nerd, i absorb things like a sponge, so im like a walking zoa and paly encyclopedia, and have just recently converted my reef to all softies and nems (got rid of most LPS corals).

just keep an eye on it, because looking at it a little harder now, i do believe it could be new growth! :)

OP
OP
Maebh

Maebh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It would be awesome to have some new growth:star-struck:
I'm honestly so bad with names, especially corals (probably cause I can't say half of their names! ):grinning-face-with-sweat: My only redemption is with inverts, but I think thats because they are named after their looks! Fire shrimp, blue legged hermit crab etc etc:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back