What is it???

Boostin_s14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was sitting in front of my tank tonight as usual and noticed something I had never seen before. I noticed a bunch of red stringy tenticle like things sticking out of the sand. I wasn't sure if they were just swaying in the water current or if they were alive and moving on thier own so I watched even closer, then I noticed there were also some brown and black striped tenticled as well. So I took my little grabber tool and was just lightly sifting through that area to find some wierd worm thing. I know for a fact its not bristle (fire) worms, I've had those before, this is different. It has a red body with what appeared to be black stripes or spots. It did in fact have a ton of very stringy red "arms" on it, as well as the brown/black arms I thought I saw. Unfortunately in the heat of the "get out of my tank" moment I did not get any pics :(

anyone know what it was?

Mark_L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like Terebellidae (spaghetti worm)
if so , nothing to worry about and actually considered beneficial.

OP
OP
B

Boostin_s14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I probably shouldn't have flushed the 2 I found? Oops lol. Thanks for the info guys, I'll be sure to leave them alone from now on.

dabruecker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same thing in my tank. It is kind of cool. It drags different stuff over and piles it on top of it. He eats the shedding from my peppermint shrimp.

ken_wied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm on the spaghetti worm boat. I have a ton of them in my tank. They keep my sand bed clean :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 46 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back