What is Salifert calcium reagent ca-1

KingNebTheGreat

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 27, 2025
Messages
159
Reaction score
83
Location
Ontario, Canada
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Salifert calcium test kit and while I was looking at everything I noticed ca-2 is sodium hydroxide 2%. I can get a big container of sodium hydroxide from my local hardware store for less than $10 cad. Does anybody know what the ca-1 reagent is and if could in theory get a larger container of it for a cheaper price and use it for testing calcium? I did find a thread on here that mentioned that they were "Lavender Granules" but I couldn't find anything past that. Because for me, the cheapest test for calcium is the Salifert one which is $35 cad for 50 - 100 doses but if I can get even just like a 100ml bottle of the ca-1 I could easily get as many tests as could ever need.
Thank you!
 
FWIW, I am not in a position to claim those linked details are correct. Concentrations matter in a calcium test. Not enough hydroxide won’t precipitate the magnesium. Too much will precipitate the calcium.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new