What is smothering my liverock?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectively disagree... I'm all for testing what I'm dosing but more importantly is testing the affect the dosing has on my parameters. I know the dosing affects ORP so I would want to see any overall reduced level trend or increasingly prolonged reductions. As for pH why would you not expect an increased level to result in a lowered pH? Saltwater has a limited capacity to hold O2 so what other concern would O2 pose at saturation in a reef tank?

You should just do it to prove your hypothesis. Unless your fish load is excessive, I see no reason to expect lower pH with increase of oxygen.

OP
OP
Who me?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just do it to prove your hypothesis. Unless your fish load is excessive, I see no reason to expect lower pH with increase of oxygen.

I'll give it a go.
My reasoning around pH is an indirect effect - the higher oxygen level should encourage increased fish respiration thus increasing CO2, I could be wrong.

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reasoning around pH is an indirect effect - the higher oxygen level should encourage increased fish respiration thus increasing CO2, I could be wrong
Higher levels of oxygen should decrease the fishes desire to breathe more/faster as they would be getting more O2 per breath. This works in humans this way, hench why free divers inhale/exhale rapidly before diving to saturate their blood with O2 so they can stay down longer. The increased O2 will probably just dissipate into the ambient air and level off over time. I went deep, I know.

OP
OP
Who me?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that any O2 after the water has reached it's oxygen saturation point will dissipate.

However, and without going into a long detailed explanation, let me just say that fish respire much differently than humans. Dissolved oxygen is processed via absorption. And the density and viscosity of water is much different than air. Approx 1000 times denser and containing less than 5% as much oxygen as air by volume.

The increased oxygen levels should enable the gill to increase processing thereby producing more bi-product (CO2).

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would enjoy seeing how peroxide worked with them
These organisms are simple obligate hitchhikers and cannot be generated in any reef that didn't directly import them, and even getting some imported as invisible trace amounts is so rare I've never seen them in person. Various forms of direct kill are indicated

Pdash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them as well, trying to raise nutrients. I've done some peroxide scrubbing outside the tank on select rocks with limited success. I have 10 trochus snails, 15 cerith snails, a small pincushion urchin, and a bristle tooth tang all eating the stuff, but it grows so fast. I also can't pull every rock out. Thinking about dosing peroxide into the tank or maybe vibrant. Pretty sure it's screwing up nutrient levels( mostly zero no3, po4 was .1-.15 got driven down all the way to .01) and my sps frags are suffering.

OP
OP
Who me?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them as well, trying to raise nutrients. I've done some peroxide scrubbing outside the tank on select rocks with limited success. I have 10 trochus snails, 15 cerith snails, a small pincushion urchin, and a bristle tooth tang all eating the stuff, but it grows so fast. I also can't pull every rock out. Thinking about dosing peroxide into the tank or maybe vibrant. Pretty sure it's screwing up nutrient levels( mostly zero no3, po4 was .1-.15 got driven down all the way to .01) and my sps frags are suffering.

Daily Peroxide dosing direct to tank has been working for me. Almost a week and they have not returned. Corals and fish appear unaffected. I scrubbed the rock while in the tank and bumped up the cleanup crew.

I've also been blowing the rock clean with a turkey baster every evening. To the point where very little detritus is left in the rock to come off each evening.

I've also added a 50 micron filter pad after the filter sock to help polish the water and remove as much as possible

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can you take us an updated pic/tank shot of helped areas we want to link your work in the peroxide thread. also doses/dilution amounts you used

OP
OP
Who me?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey can you take us an updated pic/tank shot of helped areas we want to link your work in the peroxide thread. also doses/dilution amounts you used

Sure thing, I'm dosing 3mg of 3% daily, total tank volume is approx. 50 gallons

IMG_20190703_202800.jpg

IMG_20190703_203454.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the local University lab confirmed this was brown Cyano

That is awesome. Did you know any one at the lab or go to school there? That was a great idea, if colleges have a need or desire to do ID test like that it would be a great resource. What type of lab, General or field specific?

upload_2019-7-3_20-38-59.jpeg

OP
OP
Who me?

Who me?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is awesome. Did you know any one at the lab or go to school there? That was a great idea, if colleges have a need or desire to do ID test like that it would be a great resource. What type of lab, General or field specific?

Yes I know several professors there, it is a bio/medical lab and one of the professors is a close friend whom I've known since my college days. She has a strong background in marine biology though that's not her specific field at this time. They wouldn't do this for just anyone unfortunately.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I know several professors there, it is a bio/medical lab and one of the professors is a close friend whom I've known since my college days. She has a strong background in marine biology though that's not her specific field at this time. They wouldn't do this for just anyone unfortunately.

So you’re saying we should send it to you first, got it.;Joyful

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back