What is the appendage on my hammer?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jakejtown
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jakejtown

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 22, 2024
Messages
365
Reaction score
237
Location
Kentucky
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hammer seems to be doing okay and extending but I am seeing two things I am not sure what it is. Been reading up on on pests etc so of course now I think I have Spoinid worm Lol. I have another very small head growing near the base and it looks different than the two appendages? Help please!
Also is it okay for the hammer to have the green mold on it?
One other think of note... I amseeing what apprears to be sand grains, you can see it in the photo. It is in lots of places and did think much of it becuase of my wrasse slings sand everywhere but the Particles do not shake off? TIA.

IMG_0220.jpeg IMG_0219.jpeg
 
Vermetid snail.

You could try putting a dab of super glue gel on the end to seal it shut. GL.
Thank you! Would that be both of the spots or just the dark one?
How can i control these?? Reading about bumblebee snails? Anything else?
 
Thank you! Would that be both of the spots or just the dark one?
How can i control these?? Reading about bumblebee snails? Anything else?
One more question.. are the snails in the coral? Im assuming you cant remove thats why we glue it?
 
The one coming from within the flesh band is a new head growing! The dark one is a vermetid. The snail's shell is on the surface of the coral's skeleton. You can smash it with pliers or cover it with glue.
 
If you do smash it with pliers make sure you kill the snail in the process too. I mean really smash it into oblivion. If you don't the snail will just build a new shell and come back. By sealing it shut the snail will eventually die due to starvation. It won't be able to cast out that slimy web that causes all the problems. GL.

Check this out.

https://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rs/index.php
 
Last edited:
That's a tough spot to smash into oblivion without possibly breaking the coral skeleton.

Tbh, I wouldn't do anything. The one that's under the flesh band is obviously dead and gone, and the other one you point out looks gone as well. I would only do something if I saw it casting it's net from that tube and bothering the hammer.
 
That's a tough spot to smash into oblivion without possibly breaking the coral skeleton.

Tbh, I wouldn't do anything. The one that's under the flesh band is obviously dead and gone, and the other one you point out looks gone as well. I would only do something if I saw it casting its net from that tube and bothering the hammer.
Oh yeah, we saw the net this evening. Cut off the tube and glued it. Worried about how many more are in the tank and what kind of battle we are in for.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new