What is the best coral for a 5 gallon tank?

KP Kramer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

We have a 13.5 gallon reef tank and the clownfish are not getting along. Well, the larger one is a bully and the smaller one is constantly running away. We purchased both fish at the same time from the LFS a few months ago. We were hoping the aggression would subside but unfortunately that is not the case. Thankfully there haven't been any casualties. We have a 5 gallon Fluval that we pulled the plug because we were (and still are) newbs to SW and didn't understand the importance of checking the salinity on a daily basis. Now that we have more insight of the complexities, I'm thinking of putting the smaller clown in after we cycle the tank.

Any suggestions on a coral that doesn't require special lighting? I'm thinking green star polyps...

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ricordias and Yuma’s would look great. Also mushrooms

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rank your perceived difficulty of all corals that thrives in your 13.5 gallons. Minus the top two, all the rest can be fine for the 5 gallon.

5 gallon tanks can house basically any coral, even sps / acros. It's matter of are you good enough to do that in a 5 gallon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back