---------------------Chalice
Goniopora

Lobophyllia
------------------------Acanthophyllia
Acanthophyllia

Acan lord
----------------------Acan lord
Favia

ATTENTION: This is the last vote of round #3! Because of the odd number of corals, this vote will consist of 3 choices!

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway I have an important question for you guys. I may have forgotten an LPS during the beginning of the voting process.

The LPS in question is Oulophyllia, so my question is, should it be included in this round or just be forgotten?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway I have an important question for you guys. I may have forgotten an LPS during the beginning of the voting process.

The LPS in question is Oulophyllia, so my question is, should it be included in this round or just be forgotten?
maybe in the next round?

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll see what I can pair it up against, maybe acan lord would make the most sense? Anyway my LFS might get one in next week and I'm thinking of picking it up. Should I?

By the way did you vote fungia or duncan?
Maybe. I'm not sure about their care requirements, but I'm guessing they like medium flow and lighting like most other merulinids.

I voted Fungia. I bought a juvenile specimen of my own a few weeks ago. I thought it looked like a true Fungia, but it was identified as a Danafungia by Joe Rowlett.
20231025_185210.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, Astreopora is missing - or is that seen as an SPS?
Love my colony, and clearly so do my clown gobies.
image.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Astreopora are Acroporids, so they would be SPS. But then again, Alveopora are also Acroporids, and they’re considered LPS.
See, that’s my point is why do we see Alves as LPS and not SPS if we’re going off of families and their classes?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a similar dilemma with turbinaria, though LPS and SPS are hobbyists terms and I'm going off of that.
I see Turbinaria as an LPS personally but I also don’t see LPS as being simply the Large Polyps, same with the SPS and Small Polyps.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Turbinaria as an LPS personally but I also don’t see LPS as being simply the Large Polyps, same with the SPS and Small Polyps.
It is a complicated classification, turbinaria are in the same group as scroll coral which many consider an SPS, I personally consider turbinaria an LPS, same with cyphastrea, sort of blurs the line between LPS and SPS. Though always open to a debate on this topic.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a complicated classification, turbinaria are in the same group as scroll coral which many consider an SPS, I personally consider turbinaria an LPS, same with cyphastrea, sort of blurs the line between LPS and SPS. Though always open to a debate on this topic.
Turbinaria are Dendrophylliids and closely related to Duncanopsammia, so I would consider them LPS. Cyphastrea are merulinids, so I would probably also consider them LPS.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are in my top 5 list, maybe top 3 of all coral!

Unique structure you can’t easily find except for NPS, but Duncan are tough, pretty, have some movement with tentacles, either don’t have sweepers or are just not aggressive, easy to frag and propagate and have a fun feeding response. Really dang near perfect coral imo.

OP
OP
Reefkeepers Archive

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncan’s are in my top 5 list, maybe top 3 of all coral!

Unique structure you can’t easily find except for NPS, but Duncan are tough, pretty, have some movement with tentacles, either don’t have sweepers or are just not aggressive, easy to frag and propagate and have a fun feeding response. Really dang near perfect coral imo.
Definitely fun corals, though my top 5 list has to be

1: platygyra
2: wilsoni
3: moseleya
4: "symphyllia" (one polyp lobophyllia @encrustingacro )
5: pectinia

Anyway new idea, what's everyone's top 5 list?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely fun corals, though my top 5 list has to be

1: platygyra
2: wilsoni
3: moseleya
4: "symphyllia" (one polyp lobophyllia @encrustingacro )
5: pectinia

Anyway new idea, what's everyone's top 5 list?

Sure can’t argue with that list, all beautiful and the structure of pectina is amazing when large. Sadly so are sweepers!!! I fear my ideal corals anymore also are ones that play nice with other corals and are easy to propagate which sadly knocks many off the list.

I have to say the OG bounce mushroom has taken spot 1. Such a pretty true yellow and my friend has had them as almost only survivors from several tank crashes. Only potential downside is they don’t form structure having no skeleton but that can be an advantage too for some systems and clowns.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Comments/opinions always welcome!
Will there be a summary of the results and statistical inference reported after the Best LPS has been fully vetted?

In my "always welcome" opinion, the Best LPS is the green Crocea clam! I just don't know if it is one polyp or two? But maybe that will be another thread. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will there be a summary of the results and statistical inference reported after the Best LPS has been fully vetted?

In my "always welcome" opinion, the Best LPS is the green Crocea clam! I just don't know if it is one polyp or two? But maybe that will be another thread. :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
Frag that clam!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back