What is the best reef method?

Dixon B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years i've had a few bucks to throw at the hobby (I even own Tracy Morgans old octopus tank) And because of that have been able to do some testing, And I will say that most of them are very solid if you stick to the actual program. This current day in age i've tried to dramatically simplify things by just running a massive algae scrubber, dosing with the red sea program, and the occasional water change when i'm bored. I think success with any program is easily attainable with the right approach though. Good luck!

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Assume you are ignorant;

2. Assume everybody else is also ignorant;

3. Set specific goals and choose a method adequate to your goals and ignorance level. Consider not getting your dream tank right from the start and get a smaller tank just to learn the basics for an year or 2.

Now lets dive a bit deeper into ignorance.

A healthy reef tank has hundreds of species of bacteria. No one knows how they interact and balance each other, but they're the backbone of a reef tank.

Saltwater has over 70 elements. Each element has its own importance for each living being in a reef tank and very little is known about about the roles each of them plays in the metabolism of each animal.

Learn all you can and still accept you'll be forever ignorant.

Keep all your elements as close as you can to NSW levels, innoculate your tank with somethings directly from the ocean and avoid quick changes at all costs.

When (not if) things go south and it seems that the gods of aquariums have abandoned you, remember they were never with you to start with.

sohal tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think alot of these posts miss the point. I want to know what works for y'all and why. The reason being is that everything is so mixed and complicated so I am trying my best to narrow down what I am going to do. I like to ask because I want to see if someone has had great success with something in particular. Personally I am watching melevsreef as my guide however I am always trying to improve in the mean time.
The best thing I have ever heard about how to achieve success is keep things STABLE in the reef tank. The less the water parameters change the better for ALL animals within... Think about it..the ocean's parameters when they change do it over months or years not over hours or days.... The animals hate changes in water chemistry... Buy the right tool the first time...Buy a better skimmer not a cheaper skimmer.. Buy better lights not cheaper lights... buy a back up heater... buy a temperature controller to run the heater... check alkalinity VERY often if not daily.... Check salinity level often and make sure water changes are with the exact salinity level.... Do lighting changes GRADUALLY... do not stick a new coral directly under powerful light and kill it...put close to bottom and raise it up to higher level over a week or two or three.... Make sure enough flow in tank but not too much for some corals...Thinkkkkk about what that specific coral needs...do not put it where it;'s needs are not met as far as flow and lighting level some like more or less of each..knowwww this before you place it in tank then watch to see how it reacts for a day or two.... move it if it is not happy....move it till it ISSSS happy... STABILITY of ALK, Calcium , Magnesium, Low nitrate and low phosphate...knowwww that nitrate levels need to be in harmony with Phosphate level...do not make changes to EITHER to fast!!! fIND SOMEONE that has a really nice tank and pick their brains....double check ALL information at least once if not two or three times... You will find out what works for you and what works for them might not be the same.. Do not overcrowd your reef... Tangs MUST HAVE alot of space or they WILL get sick and you will lose living animals ..maybe every single one of them in a week or two!!! The ickkkkk is as common as the human cold but it is LETHAL to fish and spreads fast once it is in your system... KNOW about it and KNOW how to prevent it...and even then you could still end up with it! it is the curse of reef systems as are a few others like velvet disease...be aware of them and have a general idea of how to avoid. Learn from other reefers that *have* an excellent reef...if they do not have a SUPER reef then do nottttttt take advice from them....they may be right but you are better of learning from someone who is in the ZONE and DOING IT SUCCESSFULLY... Oh..and do not forget to turn your RO unit off when you are making fresh water! Avoid flooding! :) Have fun reefing..best indoor hobby in the world!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I have ever heard about how to achieve success is keep things STABLE in the reef tank. The less the water parameters change the better for ALL animals within... Think about it..the ocean's parameters when they change do it over months or years not over hours or days.... The animals hate changes in water chemistry... Buy the right tool the first time...Buy a better skimmer not a cheaper skimmer.. Buy better lights not cheaper lights... buy a back up heater... buy a temperature controller to run the heater... check alkalinity VERY often if not daily.... Check salinity level often and make sure water changes are with the exact salinity level.... Do lighting changes GRADUALLY... do not stick a new coral directly under powerful light and kill it...put close to bottom and raise it up to higher level over a week or two or three.... Make sure enough flow in tank but not too much for some corals...Thinkkkkk about what that specific coral needs...do not put it where it;'s needs are not met as far as flow and lighting level some like more or less of each..knowwww this before you place it in tank then watch to see how it reacts for a day or two.... move it if it is not happy....move it till it ISSSS happy... STABILITY of ALK, Calcium , Magnesium, Low nitrate and low phosphate...knowwww that nitrate levels need to be in harmony with Phosphate level...do not make changes to EITHER to fast!!! fIND SOMEONE that has a really nice tank and pick their brains....double check ALL information at least once if not two or three times... You will find out what works for you and what works for them might not be the same.. Do not overcrowd your reef... Tangs MUST HAVE alot of space or they WILL get sick and you will lose living animals ..maybe every single one of them in a week or two!!! The ickkkkk is as common as the human cold but it is LETHAL to fish and spreads fast once it is in your system... KNOW about it and KNOW how to prevent it...and even then you could still end up with it! it is the curse of reef systems as are a few others like velvet disease...be aware of them and have a general idea of how to avoid. Learn from other reefers that *have* an excellent reef...if they do not have a SUPER reef then do nottttttt take advice from them....they may be right but you are better of learning from someone who is in the ZONE and DOING IT SUCCESSFULLY... Oh..and do not forget to turn your RO unit off when you are making fresh water! Avoid flooding! :) Have fun reefing..best indoor hobby in the world!
Agree 100%. Whatever levels or system you run stability is your main goal.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back