What is the best type of Algae in sump? - and whats growing in my sump?

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, attached are 2 pics of my sump. I tried chaeto but it died. Calerpa seems to be on the way out. This nasty algae grows over everything. Lights are on in sump 24 hrs/day to keep calerpa from going sexual. Battling algae in my DT (not sure what type-dinos?). Tank has been cycled since about December 2019.

-----What do I need to do to get ANY type of good macro algae to grow in my sump instead of this nasty algae? Thinking of maybe a chaeto reactor or algae scrubber instead of a refugium full of macro algae---------

More info:

215 gallon DT mostly soft corals (kole tang, foxface, 2 blennys, 2 damsels, firefish, 2 clownfish, crabs, 2 red serpent stars, 2 cleaner shrimp, snails)
100 gallon sump
77 degrees
salinity 1.0245
Phosphate .07
Nitrate 2
alk 8
Calcium 430
Magnesium 1275

I just started to run UV yesterday.
Bubble Magus filter roller
large protein skimmer
Lights on in DT 11 hrs/day-T5s and LED fixture

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1504 (1).jpg IMG_1503 (1).jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You have lots of bubble algae which needs to go. It will end up in return pump and your display. Best removal method I had was a foxface rabbit and use of liquid vibrant but not practical in a sump. You may need to remove each rock individually and force off with an aggressive toothbrush or similar and rinse rock off well.

OP
OP
Kan9

Kan9

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have lots of bubble algae which needs to go. It will end up in return pump and your display. Best removal method I had was a foxface rabbit and use of liquid vibrant but not practical in a sump. You may need to remove each rock individually and force off with an aggressive toothbrush or similar and rinse rock off well.
Thank you! I figured as much. Any thoughts on how to keep the bubble algae out after I remove it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you! I figured as much. Any thoughts on how to keep the bubble algae out after I remove it?
Low light and low nutrients in sump

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 124 42.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back