What is the best way to separate these two baby elegence corals from the mother?

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has two like this and one on the other side that you can see the inside of the cone.

thumbnail[1] (2).jpg thumbnail[1] (3).jpg thumbnail[1].jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi James. It really depends on the size of the little ones. You don't want to remove them too early or it will be certain death. After they have matured some, try a hack saw and place 2-part epoxy putty over the skeleton of the mother and the base of the babies where cut. Generally, they will detach on their own when ready making the cutting unnecessary, generally.

OP
OP
James w Lewis

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had 4 babies, two on each side and two with normal skeletons and two with reversed meaning the tissue was around the outside of the cone. The two reverse cones detached from the tissue and just fell of. I dont really get why.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just fell off because that's what they do. You can see int he photos on the article that I linked were the same as your two with tissue. Have any survived?

slgcmg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this elegance in your tank?

Purplelobst92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has two like this and one on the other side that you can see the inside of the cone.

thumbnail[1] (2).jpg thumbnail[1] (3).jpg thumbnail[1].jpg
Dang in all my days of reefin, i have never seen an elegance bud, thats pretty cool, do you have any others in the tank? when did you first notice the babies?

OP
OP
James w Lewis

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just fell off because that's what they do. You can see int he photos on the article that I linked were the same as your two with tissue. Have any survived?

I have another elegance in the tank but it doesn’t have buds on it. These have been there a long time. I only noticed them because I constantly have to move them to hunt for frags that my blue tang drops on it.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back