What is the biggest mistake you made as a noob???

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe just thought it was OK and it backfired?

Mine is using tap water. My tank had a pretty long bout with cyano that took awhile to get rid of.

Pappy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing buffer and purple up everyday without testing because the Lfs said to.:( thank god for the forums!

Mike D "like the beastie boys" Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a sand sifting star against everyones advice not to. My 100G, 5-6" thriving Southdown DSB looked like the Sahara desert with no life whatsoever in 3 months. To this day still the stupidest mistake I ever made.
Second dumbest was not attacking mojano anemones as soon as they showed up. I waited too late and they wiped out my SPS population.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having a carpet anemone tank and then thinking a jawfish could somehow live in there.

He did for about 12 hours.

wow. it looks even more stupid when i write it out.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have so many... :(

The worst was adding some ph buffer straight to the tank and frying a frogspawn, torch and trachy right in front of my eyes.

I preach now AGAINST trying to move ph in a reef tank. Not only for those reasons but because many aren't aware of the alkalinity spikes involved with it.

illdoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buying too small of a tank when I knew darn well I should have gone bigger.

+1

Biggest mistake I've made more than once - impulse/cheap purchases. I've upgraded almost every item I've bought.

I know you read it all the time on the forums, but research research research. I would actually have more if I hadn't wasted money by buying w/o the proper research.

NanoNathan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i bought a 125g 6' rimless tank knowing i wouldnt be able to set it up till next year in a new house... now it sits in my hallway as a large decoration. :squigglemouth:.. but the deal was to good to say no... but i think the waiting a year in more trouble then the deal lol...

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubled the amount of salt when I did a waterchange in a 20g sps growout tank watched about $3000 melt about an hour later.
I tried to save them but nothing I could do at that point.

always double check salinity when doing a waterchange

Last edited:

BillyC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to top off my 55g with salt water instead of R.O. water. I was wondering how everyone hadn't lost their patience mixing saltwater every night and how expensive all this salt was going to be.

richfavinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a $25 Yellow Tang (average size) with in the first week of setting my my very first 20g Saltwater Fish tank... Never being told by the LFS that then tank needed to "cycle" and I'd need to test things... Seeing now 15 years later that tangs should not really be in tanks smaller then 90g, and cycles take 3-6 weeks.

Scary knowing that I now know more about saltwater and reef aquaria then most of our remaining local stores.

scott89wing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
left my tank out in our breeze way and didnt get everything and everyone moved inside before summer hit and every thing got to hot and lost all my coral and fish

Reginald

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
started off with a single 30" t8 fixture on a 48" tank was one big mistake and then another mistake was dosing a PH raiser straight into the tank and watched it kill my coral beauty and half of my corals

AsphaltPays

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Biggest mistake I've made more than once - impulse/cheap purchases. I've upgraded almost every item I've bought.

I know you read it all the time on the forums, but research research research. I would actually have more if I hadn't wasted money by buying w/o the proper research.

Isn't That the truth !!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well besides electricuiting my tank and feeling I could keep all the fish I wanted and all different types of corals using a cheap skimmer that could not skim a filtered 16oz bottle of water lol, I would have to say it would be thinking I could put together my own acrylic tank and used silicone :( could you say crack, snapple and splash

Young Frankenstein

I sniff ozone and relax.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean was my first salt, I switched to more expensive brands and now after so many years I am back to it, in between I $$$$pended meaningless

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first started, the craze to to feed the tank everything under the sun many times a day. I, of course, did this without the appropriate filtration and bombed out my sand bed pretty quickly, which then caused all sorts of problems in my tank.

chestnud

Slice & Dice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first mistake was always using salt for top off water, (also seems to be the case with many customers who have come into the store.) We now give out a list of 10 tips/mistakes on a printout to help new sw hobbyists

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back