What is the biggest mistake you made as a noob???

frankdontsurf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 day old reef tank at the time of this post..been actively researching a couple of months, i've done research before (years ago) but things have changed for the better in the hobby.

Got a 10 gallon because i'm sorta broke/bored right now. I bought live rocks that the LFS was eager to sell me complete with *aiptasia* :\

If you're tight on space I'd suggest a 29 gallon with an overflow/sump should be your smallest option. You're better off buying live water (if you can) along with live sand, 75/25 (dead rock to live rock) this lets you get quality pieces to seed with but you minimize how much random hitchhikers you drop in. Make sure you have your lights and filtration sorted out properly - spend the money on products with good reviews. After you research (forums, books, conversations with your LFS) post another question with any doubts! There is way too much hear-say and even more varied results, in other words Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) so be as informed as possible. Patience!

Personally I'm planning out a 24x24x24 cube already, I plan to leave the 10 gallon setup as a bare bottom quarantine. I bought what I think are quality aux components but they will be futile in anything bigger than my 10gal (8~gal of water).

FL_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having a backup plan for power outage. Lets just say.. Water everywhere, so dumb but I was new to the hobby at the time. I luv the adding salt for top off comments. Lol we've all made dumb mistakes but that's how you learn.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back