Made a mistake, how can I fix it?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s lineloc. Just bend it up so top edge just comes out of the water.
And then when your tank is running and you bump into it and make it slightly lower the power will shut off. Ask me how I know.

If you do stick with loc line I might glue it in place to prevent sagging. I bought a badly drilled tank and used fittings and hard pipe to raise the over flow level during a power outage.

The hole is at around 15 gallons of water drainage, combined with sump levels for a return pump I think you will need more like a 30 gallon sump if you decide not to use hard pipe returns to raise the level. Otherwise, use a plug in the bulkhead and get a U pipe return that comes over the top edge and will only siphon an inch or two.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then when your tank is running and you bump into it and make it slightly lower the power will shut off. Ask me how I know.

If you do stick with loc line I might glue it in place to prevent sagging. I bought a badly drilled tank and used fittings and hard pipe to raise the over flow level during a power outage.

The hole is at around 15 gallons of water drainage, combined with sump levels for a return pump I think you will need more like a 30 gallon sump if you decide not to use hard pipe returns to raise the level. Otherwise, use a plug in the bulkhead and get a U pipe return that comes over the top edge and will only siphon an inch or two.
Hey Kris, someone did the math for me and at this height my 20 gallon sump should be able to handle it. Just for redundancy I am going to add the street+2.75" nipple to bring it up to the waterline. With the 90degree street its going to be hard up against the glass and really shouldnt look too bad (I hope). Then Ill be branching off into a Y connector to adjust the flow. Thanks!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kris, someone did the math for me and at this height my 20 gallon sump should be able to handle it. Just for redundancy I am going to add the street+2.75" nipple to bring it up to the waterline. With the 90degree street its going to be hard up against the glass and really shouldnt look too bad (I hope). Then Ill be branching off into a Y connector to adjust the flow. Thanks!
That is a great solution, there have been a lot of interesting ideas and many that will work.

Just wanted to stress that with those bendy loc line returns if you bump them deeper by accident they can drain more water than you planned on in the sump. It might not over flow but if you have a skimmer in the sump it can mess with that as well.

So, b careful! Don't do what I have done with loc lines :thinking-face: :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back