What is the difference between T5 and T5ho?

Mole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or are they the same thing and I'm just a little slow? Can a T5 fixture be retrofit with the "HO" ballast? If so, does that mean I need to get different bulbs? And where can I be directed to find the correct T5 ballast for my application? I have a "financially responsible" 24" T5, 4x 24w fixture that I'd like to run a little higher if its possible but, I have no idea where to even start looking for the correct ballast if this is even possible. I'm fairly handy so I'm sure I can do the change myself, I'm just not sure what I should be looking for. Dimmable is not necessary.

Thanks

Kawicivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about finding all the parts. Reefgeek maybe? I do know I picked up a T5HO 48" light from Home Deport for $40. They have come down in price. The bulbs on HO t5 run different wattages than the bulbs on the normal ones I believe. They had normal T5 at the depot as well - I picked up a t5 fixture for my basement so I could use those wasted bulbs that will still light my house better than any other bulb but are no good for growing corals anymore. Yes, I used the white bulbs and not actinic lol

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the technology will be able to help you with your tech questions, but the info above might give you some more options to look into.

Kawicivic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O yea - forgot to add that a lot of t5s performance is supposed to come from the reflector, so that would be an issue as the cheap ones I talked about do not come with reflectors.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 47.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 50 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back