What Is the Most Likely Reason for Poor SPS Coral Growth? My corals aren't growing... See Pictures

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chaswood79 what do you attribute your quicker success to that others can't seem to replicate without the passage of time?
I don’t worry about no3/po4 in those tanks

Full transparency though, I get much better growth and color in my display with 10-25 no3 and 0.10-0.20 po4 than the other 2 tanks. I do almost zero testing in the others.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chaswood79 what do you attribute your quicker success to that others can't seem to replicate without the passage of time?
And there are many reefers, not just me, that start sps as soon as the cycle is over. I think most ppl struggle early because they’re trying to fight the ugly stages and keep sps at the same time. I don’t care about a little hair algae.

jvb89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not in the “you need X months before sps” camp. I have a scrap sps tank started with dry rock, no skimmer for non Tenuis acros and montis and zoas that has had acros in it since day 10 with no issues. I also set up a 3g QT tank with no rock or skimmer 3 months ago and keeps sps just fine in there too.
I've done the same in the past but for some reason this tank wasn't having it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but IMO it’s not being stable enough.

The tank has got to be very stable across every facet.
Well said as I shoot for stability above all.
All the successfull reefers in my area have the same mentality as its stability that wins.
Stability over time, not just my tank is stable now, is critical, imo.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. what do you think is unstable in my tank?
Based on your params, light and flow I think you are asking the M$ question. Aside from age I don't have the answer.

Queue @Chaswood79 for some clues. Gotta be more than just "elevated" nutrient.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. what do you think is unstable in my tank?
Not sure.
Your parameters are very close to what I run and have run since startup 16 months ago.
You did mention that you took all the dead rock out and replaced with live around 8 months ago.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you've got par readings that check out, but I have to tell you 4x G4 XR15 on a 5x2 footprint with 4xt5 is lacking IMO.

I would do at least 4xXR30, maybe even more and the T5.

Beyond that, this is what the SPS game is. A bunch if waiting. You have small frags in a newer tank. That means you're gonna be waiting even longer.

I would anticipate 2yrs for the frags you have get big enough for their growth to be acceptably noticeable to you if the progress you showed in your 4mo comparison pics is not enough to you.hth

Last edited:

cccslp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I have a tank that has been up for about 2 years. I have about 30 SPS frags that are in the tank and have been for 6+ months. They are decently colorful, their polyp extension is fantastic, and by all accounts they seem happy. But they are not growing. They're not dying which is good... But for growth, I'm lucky if I get a few millimeters over many months. I have a few that have encrusted some of their frag plug but that is rare. Below are some pictures. I'm purposefully not posting my tank parameters yet (I will after a few responses) because what I'd really like to know is: what are the most likely reasons for lack of SPS growth? I have a feeling I am having testing errors on my parameters so I'm interested to know what the most likely reasons are for happy-looking corals but poor growth; maybe I can work from there. Thanks so much for your insights!

Pics of corals not growing (but looking happy by all accounts):

7/31/2020 RRC Marvin the Martian:
IMG_9538.JPG

11/8/2020 RRC Marvin the Martian:
IMG_9587.JPG

7/23/2020 SC Orange Passion
IMG_9547.JPG

11/8/2020 SC Orange Passion:

IMG_9585.JPG

7/31/2020 Strawberry Shortcake

IMG_9536.JPG

11/8/2020 Strawberry Shortcake:
IMG_9586.JPG
IMG_9522.JPG

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I can think of is increase the flow more. Back when I first got my mp40s I thought 40-50 percent was a lot of flow. I had them on the side walls of the tank. Then I put them on the back glass and cranked them to 100 percent on tidal swell mode. It’s a lot more flow than before, my corals look happier, and I can see growth weekly. My suggestion Instead of it ramping from 30 - 80 percent, maybe do 50-100 see if that helps. I would crank them up as much as possible.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things I’ve noticed when SPS stall:

• Bare hands in the tank - oils and whatever else on our hands have slowed Alk consumption and growth. Try to wear full length gloves.
  • Air fresheners or other airborne contamination - make sure nothing gets near or in the tank.
  • Low/lower pH
  • Lights too close to water surface, creating hot spots or poor spectrum blend and coverage
  • shrimp, crabs, or algae irritating corals
  • Placement

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said as I shoot for stability above all.
All the successfull reefers in my area have the same mentality as its stability that wins.
Stability over time, not just my tank is stable now, is critical, imo.

Yep exactly.

Example: I remember using IO reef crystals salt back in the day. It has a dKH that’s a lot higher than What I run my tank at. Back then I would have just mixed the salt and did a large water change.

Now...I mix it, match salinity exactly, drop the dKH with acid buffer to match the tank, let the pH regulate, match the temp, and then do a small water change.

Which method do you think had less impact on Acropora? :)

This is just one of a number of things that make a tank much more stable and help promote growth.

Another example would be leaving the LED controls alone. :)

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your params, light and flow I think you are asking the M$ question. Aside from age I don't have the answer.

Queue @Chaswood79 for some clues. Gotta be more than just "elevated" nutrient.
I don’t have great growth across the board. I have some Tenuis that grow really fast, some with almost zero growth for 2 years and many in between that range. I do, however, believe my higher nutrients and no freak out attitude when it comes to no3/po4 contributes to my very low death rate. I’d rather have slow or even no growth than Stn/rtn.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 38 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back