What is the proof that corals eat fish poop?

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the proof that corals eat fish poop?. Many mention this "fact" but Ji have not seen any indication. My scopascpoops like firefighter airplain but corals do not response

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fish waste than poop. There are all kinds of scientific literature that show that most corals process and and use ammonia/ammonium, which is a direct fish waste. There is plenty of stuff out there if you look. When you look, you will also see that organisms use about 1/3 of what they inject and pass about 2/3 on to the next consumer. ...so fish waste has plenty of things that other organisms can use from pods, corals, other fish eating the poop, etc.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More fish waste than poop. There are all kinds of scientific literature that show that most corals process and and use ammonia/ammonium, which is a direct fish waste. There is plenty of stuff out there if you look. When you look, you will also see that organisms use about 1/3 of what they inject and pass about 2/3 on to the next consumer. ...so fish waste has plenty of things that other organisms can use from pods, corals, other fish eating the poop, etc.
^This

Corals don’t directly feed off fish poop (though they may catch some), but the nutrients that fish poop breaks down into.
Rather than go through the whole nitrogen cycle and detritivore processes etc., it’s a lot easier to just put it as “corals eat fish poop.”

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not my picture , simple google image is all the proof we need .

Attachments

• A8A70D6F-5901-4CCA-9128-906F1416915D.jpeg
    A8A70D6F-5901-4CCA-9128-906F1416915D.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Koty

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt that fish poop is a source for all the organic nitrogen and phosphate compounds. But for people that rely on fish poop where do their corals get all the vitamins and special unsaturated fatty acids from? My take is that at least for many lps corals such as elegance, they will starve and die if they are not fed.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals won't as much eat the fish poop rather what the fish poop breaks down into. Like nitrates and phosphates although some will eat directly.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt that fish poop is a source for all the organic nitrogen and phosphate compounds. But for people that rely on fish poop where do their corals get all the vitamins and special unsaturated fatty acids from? My take is that at least for many lps corals such as elegance, they will starve and die if they are not fed.
I think most Lps corals are actually hard to feed like hammers and torches and will not readily accept food. They also get a lot of stuff out of the water as well like calcium and magnesium which is the point of dosing.

Back