What is the red stuff on coral? Purple stuff?

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it is Cyano bacteria - but it's not going away. Phosphates are down to / at 0.03, it's the second treatment of Chemi-clean (50% WC in between after 2 days).

The purple would be coralline? I have some rocks that are 90% coverered with it. Looks nice, but do I want that much?

Trying to solve this issue before bringing fish back from QT in a month from now.
Also before buying anything else.

cyano.jpg

Last edited:

reef heaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume it is Cyano bacteria - but it's not going away. Phosphates are down to / at 0.03, it's the second treatment of Chemi-clean (50% WC in between after 2 days).

The purple would be coraline? I have some rocks that are 90% coverered with it. Looks nice, but do I want that much?

Trying to solve this issue before bringing fish back from QT in a month from now.
Also before buying anything else.

cyano.jpg

Both look like coraline to me. My understanding is they come in purple, red and green. I have both as you do also. You could get an urchin to eat the coraline if you don't like it also.

OP
OP
Mark Derail

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to buy more chemi-clean, it's expensive and I didn't buy it - came with first rescue tank - lady got rid of everything.
I know I did have cyano at one point, when phosphates were much higher, it would coat the bottom sand.
I hardly have any sand left, as I kept vacuuming it out.

When I use a turkey baster on it to blast it with water, the red & purple don't move.

I have an urchin, the short-haired version that everything sticks to. He likes licking the glass, even though I have 8 snails that do that.
He even seems to have a hitchhiker feather duster.

urchin.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. Both are coralines , the red is a slow grower as does well at low and high light levels. The purples do not.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mark - yup, its coralline. How large is your tank? The only reason I ask is that it might be hard to sustain two urchins in a tank, unless you have a rather large well established tank, or target feed them. Cool hitchhiker on your urchin - looks to be a stalk of xenia or similar, rather than a feather duster, but it is hard to tell from the photo.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 coralline. I'd love to have some red, but I have pink and purple in my nano. Pink is lower, purple is higher up. By higher up I mean the tank is 13" tall... The pink is also fluorescent under Kessil 0% color on the growth edge. :cool:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back