What is the Smelliest part of owning a SW tank?

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncured live rock, back in the day you bought your rock from LFS straight from wholesaler direct. I've had some Fiji and Atlantic live rock, it's a toss up. Smell gets worse after a few days of curing in your tank.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's been said alot but I'm going to have to say the skimmer. We have a container that holds the nasty gunk from it and when we empty it oh boy does it stink up the whole house! I thought changing my 2 years old poopy diaper was bad.. It doesn't even come close to the skimmer;Vomit

Behnken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the biopellet reactor has been the smelliest for me.

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing worse than a dead snail. The reactor bio pellets would be a close second.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an emerald crab that died during the molting process. I plucked him out and had to take him outside. The smell was ugh...

Todd A.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - Emptying the skimmer cup in my kitchen sink fouls the entire house
2 - Reef Frenzy frozen food. Cutting it into feeding sized cubes reminds me of working in a Seafood Restaurant, hands that stick like dead fish
All of the other smells just make it seem like I live closer to the ocean, which isn't a bad thing.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta be the skimmer juice! Ever taken a shot of that stuff? Yeeegh ;)

N suter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tied for 1st:
- Bucket full of used filter socks, before I have a full load to clean!
- Skimmate (although I always smell it, can tell a lot of what's going on in the tank)

Next in line:
-Reef Nutrition Mysis Feast food (especially when you take a good wiff of it!)

TikiBird

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - Emptying the skimmer cup in my kitchen sink fouls the entire house
2 - Reef Frenzy frozen food. Cutting it into feeding sized cubes reminds me of working in a Seafood Restaurant, hands that stick like dead fish
All of the other smells just make it seem like I live closer to the ocean, which isn't a bad thing.

Oh my gosh, how could I have forgotten the Reef Frenzy?! That was worse than the dead live rock box. When I cut it up I literally wore goggles, a face mask, and gloves. And it was STILL too much for me to handle. [emoji23]

Edit to add: the food is great quality by the way, I just don't like the fresh smell. lol

thewasho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mind skimmate, bit of a funky smell
Worst for me was a load of filter socks that i put in the washing machine and for some reason it failed to start the load and i was away for 4 days on a long weekend, washing machine was never the same after that!
Try explaining that one!

Flower man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to Tank odors, everyone has their favorite and not so favorite smells.

Today (I am ashamed of it) I cleaned out a 1month old Biopellet reactor. Usually when I do my clean when I change out the pellets it smells but not much worse than the skimmer. Well, I took the Biopellets off line shortly after the last time I cleaned it. Due to a busy schedule I just now got around to cleaning it. Smelled worse than anything I have smelt out of my tank.

So what is your smelliest encounter with your tank?
Skimmer for sure but the pellets are close.

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer doesnt smell that bad? My tanks only 7 months old though, is that bad?

N suter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Savetheocean, that is normal if you don't have a big bio load. Once you start picking up uneaten food and detris, it will get a little "stinkier". It still has that sweet saltwater smell to it.

I want to add a new BAD smell to the list, I just got some Microbe-lift special blend to my tank. Just for maintenance to boost corolline algae growth! It does stink thou. And it lingers. Luckly it's only an every other week add in. I am going to start adding right before work so it has time to clear the air before I come home. If anyone else has used this' they will feel my pain. Well at least my nose's pain. Haha This one might top my personal list of stink!

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Often me. Or the skimmer cup. Usually I'm worse...

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I empty the skimmer cup in the slop sink, the whole laundry room stinks. If I don't run the water in the sink for a minute to flush all of the skimmate out of the drain the room will stink for while, and that room is right next to the front entrance. Not a good smell to walk in on.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back