What is the Smelliest part of owning a SW tank?

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife thinks this part is smelly but I have a basement sump and I like to sit on the stairs and enjoy the aroma.
It smell just like the ocean. I smell the water, sand, salt, algea the fish poop everything. Plus the sound of the water falling into the sump. It's just all amazing that we can enjoy a reef tank beyond its visual appeal.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I tore down my old 240g reef. 8" Southdown DSB, been in place for 4 years. Drained the water, pulled the rock, and then started scooping sand. Lord, that smell... this was a decade back, but I'll never forget it.

The only worse smell I've been around was not reefing related. Ever been in a leather tannery during the summer? Believe me, it's something to avoid.

nfrench2100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea my collection cup on my skimmer, just by smell alone, I can tell when it needs to be cleaned lol. And it is not pleasant

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dead sponges can smell pretty bad too.

But hands down, the stench of the skimmer cup tops them all. Mine is in the basement, and when I empty it, even when I am careful about taking it outside to dump it, the smell makes it's way upstairs, and I get funny looks from the wife and kid ...
I flush that stuff down the toilet. I'd be afraid it would stink outside too.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added a skimmer waste collector to hold more of that nasty skimmate, and well the longer it sits, the more it just ferments. I dumped it after it took 2-3 weeks of sitting and filling. And well. I had to close the door in the laundry room and open the window. I understand why so many people said skimmer cup now.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Yeah, best to take those outside ASAP to dump them - and not too close to neighbors. I learned to not dump those in the house. :)

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a big 4” turkey wing mussel hitchhiker die and the shell couldn’t open to let my cuc clean it out. I only knew something was up because the nassirus snails were swarming the shell. When I got it out it fell open in my hands unleashing a horrific smell and pile of snotty meat.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back