What is this and how do I get rid of it?

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0D0E412E-581F-403D-947B-5AB727A263D2.jpeg
93E6A449-9DA7-4BA6-BF4F-4548C468B0A8.jpeg
I’ve noticed this algae growing more and more in my tank. The only thing that I’ve changed is dosing calcium and alkalinity as well as feeding the corals more often.

What is it and how do I get rid of it?
Thanks

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your reef?

What do your phosphates and nitrates test to?

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are around zero...I don’t have a phosphate test but last I tested they were normal. My tank is a year and two months.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is part of algae and hair algae growth. I have gotten that in a new setup and is due to phosphates high which could come right from your water. You can pull out by hand as you see it to alleviate any growth from these. RO water is beneficial in itself to help reduce this, as is water changes.
I have had success ADDING PHOSPHATErx. A clean up crew is help to prevent start of this ( Mex turbo, margarita and cerith snails are good). Foxface rabbitfish and /or a yellow eye tang should munch on this also

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is part of algae and hair algae growth. I have gotten that in a new setup and is due to phosphates high which could come right from your water. You can pull out by hand as you see it to alleviate any growth from these. RO water is beneficial in itself to help reduce this, as is water changes.
I have had success ADDING PHOSPHATErx. A clean up crew is help to prevent start of this ( Mex turbo, margarita and cerith snails are good). Foxface rabbitfish and /or a yellow eye tang should munch on this also

Cool thanks for the tips. I got an emerald crab and a tailspin blenny because supposedly they eat algae. I’ll look into the snails. I don’t think the tank is large enough for Fox face, etc. I’ve been taken the rocks out and scrapping them off with a wire brush which is a PITA.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
NO wire brush. May leave metal dust or fragments which can be fatal to tank specimens. Use a Hard Toothbrush. Light reduction also good.
Emerald crab effective to bubble but can also be annoying to corals especially zoa.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my buddy whose an aquarist and coral farmer check my water. Phosphate and nitrate were both zero. He says it’s likely diatoms and we used coral feeder tube to blast it off. Don’t know what that tune is called. Lol

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back