How to get rid of Amphipods

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a problem with amphipods, there are thousands of them in my reef tank literally everywhere is blooming with amphipods and I want to get rid of them. They irritate my corals so much that my corals are nearly retracted during most of the day because of them, my acantho was normally retracted I took it, turned it upside down and shook it before putting it back in its place and it got huge expanded nearly 3x its size, I'm convinced these bugs are bothering my corals which are nearly all LPS corals. Is there any way I can get rid of them? I cannot place any fish in the tank because I have marine ich and I am on a fallow period, I've got a skunk cleaner shrimp that does not seem to be hunting them often. I need to get rid of them somehow they are bothering my corals as I have seen the acantho that never expanded expand extremely well after I got rid of the amphipods on him.

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please post parameters? Just in case if it is another issue.
A video would be great too as there are a great number of species of amphipods.

If, in theory, it is the amphipods causing the irritation - I believe you may be feeding the tank too much which may have allowed an explosion in the population.

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry, the website said there was a temporary problem and when I clicked it, it posted 4 of the same message. Could a moderator delete 3 of these posts? I'm so sorry I accidentally did this.

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you please post parameters? Just in case if it is another issue.
A video would be great too as there are a great number of species of amphipods.

If, in theory, it is the amphipods causing the irritation - I believe you may be feeding the tank too much which may have allowed an explosion in the population.
Magnesium is 1380 ppm, Calcium 400 ppm, pH is 8.1, phosphate test kit is outdated but the phosphate levels are pretty high causing a relative amount of algae. But I'm certain it's the amphipods, the corals are all fine after the amphipods leave them alone. I'll reduce the feedings.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back