How to get rid of Amphipods

Terrapod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test kit is outdated but it is high enough that there is diatom growth on the shell of the cleaner shrimp.
Diatoms are normally from silicates contained in poor rodi water used in water changes and freshwater topup

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To your knowledge, are there any that eat corals?
I'm pretty sure they are all usually reef safe but they will turn to eating coral tissue if there is no food available, @ISpeakForTheSeas can help with that

Also if.it is a 120L tank then I'd feed less food more frequently, IE if the equivalent if 2 cubes of mysis and 4 cubes of cyclops go in weekly then I'd maybe break it up into 1.5 cubes of mysis and 3 cubes of cyclops a week broken up into portions that are fed daily

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure they are all usually reef safe but they will turn to eating coral tissue if there is no food available, @ISpeakForTheSeas can help with that

Also if.it is a 120L tank then I'd feed less food more frequently
There are absolutely amphipods that eat coral. The problem is, it's very difficult (if not virtually impossible) for the average hobbyist to determine if they have one of these species until they witness them eating the coral. Zoas in particular seem to be targets. (Although, the chance of having the coral eating pods are still unlikely).

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are absolutely amphipods that eat coral. The problem is, it's very difficult (if not virtually impossible) for the average hobbyist to determine if they have one of these species until they witness them eating the coral. Zoas in particular seem to be targets. (Although, the chance of having the coral eating pods are still unlikely).
Have not witnessed them eating zoas.
Same way you get rid of other bugs Interceptor
So I need to use pesticides? I was going to refer to that as a last option since I don't have another tank setup for the other inverts.
How long has it been fallow?
a month, but I've added coral from a tank that had marine ich therefore I think I need to reset the fallow period?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back