Reactor and Eradicating Amphipods

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've recently made a post about amphipods and how to get rid of them, I bought a open brain coral that had some damage on its skeleton (a little bit of damage) and was recovering, upon placing it in my tank it opened puffed up and was happy, fast forward to 2 days later and the amphipods decimated the coral, they literally ripped out chunks of flesh from its skeleton, I was fine with them until now, they've tested my patience enough and I am determined in eradicating them. I've got high phosphates therefore I want to reduce them first to get rid of their main food source which is algae, the tank has a lot of algae and yet they still go for my corals so therefore before I kill the majority of them I want to make sure they do not reproduce until I can buy fish (after the fallow period for marine ich is over), I'm thinking of buying a GFO reactor but I'm not sure if I should buy a GFO reactor or a Chaeto reactor, which do you think is better and which one should I get? I'm sick and tired of these amphipods, I'll be doing a freshwater dip on all of the rocks, I did a freshwater dip and killed about 300 of them on the small rocks, I'll be doing a freshwater dip on the large rocks periodically once every week or so, is this procedure good enough until I can get fish? (I got 2 months for fallow to end) .

And yes, I am certain the amphipods did this, they were decimating my copepod population, bothering my corals and now have decimated the brain coral which was the last stretch for me.

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've recently made a post about amphipods and how to get rid of them, I bought a open brain coral that had some damage on its skeleton (a little bit of damage) and was recovering, upon placing it in my tank it opened puffed up and was happy, fast forward to 2 days later and the amphipods decimated the coral, they literally ripped out chunks of flesh from its skeleton, I was fine with them until now, they've tested my patience enough and I am determined in eradicating them. I've got high phosphates therefore I want to reduce them first to get rid of their main food source which is algae, the tank has a lot of algae and yet they still go for my corals so therefore before I kill the majority of them I want to make sure they do not reproduce until I can buy fish (after the fallow period for marine ich is over), I'm thinking of buying a GFO reactor but I'm not sure if I should buy a GFO reactor or a Chaeto reactor, which do you think is better and which one should I get? I'm sick and tired of these amphipods, I'll be doing a freshwater dip on all of the rocks, I did a freshwater dip and killed about 300 of them on the small rocks, I'll be doing a freshwater dip on the large rocks periodically once every week or so, is this procedure good enough until I can get fish? (I got 2 months for fallow to end) .

And yes, I am certain the amphipods did this, they were decimating my copepod population, bothering my corals and now have decimated the brain coral which was the last stretch for me.
Also, when I dip the rocks new amphipods from the sand (presumably the less dominant ones) move in to the rocks, which makes me feel better that this will work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back