How to get rid of Amphipods

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not witnessed them eating zoas.

So I need to use pesticides? I was going to refer to that as a last option since I don't have another tank setup for the other inverts.

a month, but I've added coral from a tank that had marine ich therefore I think I need to reset the fallow period?
I guess you have a few options.
1. Take out each coral, dip it with something that will kill the pods or at least make them fall off the coral, and put the dipped coral in another (temporary) tank.
2. Do the first 2 steps above and siphon out as much sand as you can, before putting the coral back in, to hopefully put a good dent in the population, and do a large water change.
3. Remove all other inverts and treat with interceptor (although some people have found that this does not work very well for large infestations).

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you have a few options.
1. Take out each coral, dip it with something that will kill the pods or at least make them fall off the coral, and put the dipped coral in another (temporary) tank.
2. Do the first 2 steps above and siphon out as much sand as you can, before putting the coral back in, to hopefully put a good dent in the population, and do a large water change.
3. Remove all other inverts and treat with interceptor (although some people have found that this does not work very well for large infestations).
Thank you, although I don't have a tank that can house all the coral I have so I think I'll just wait or should I freshwater dip the rocks? There's a lot inside the rocks, if not I think I'll wait until I can get a wrasse.

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, although I don't have a tank that can house all the coral I have so I think I'll just wait or should I freshwater dip the rocks? There's a lot inside the rocks, if not I think I'll wait until I can get a wrasse.
Also I'll be getting a phosphate reactor, I'll send a picture of the amphipods as soon as possible.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS will be getting new test kits soon, I'll buy a new one the one I have is outdated. But it is very high from the looks of it.
You cannot tell phosphate levels by looking at a tank, lol.

I recommend having good test kits on hand for everything you want to measure, all the time.

But I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck :)

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cannot tell phosphate levels by looking at a tank, lol.

I recommend having good test kits on hand for everything you want to measure, all the time.

But I'm sure you'll figure it out. Good luck :)
Thank you, I predicted that because the glass and the rocks get algae on them a day after I clean them also the local LFS owner looked at the tank and said it probably has high phosphates which may be a cause for the algae (probably is).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've heard a lot of anecdotes about amphipods eating coral when the population gets large enough (oddly, I can't find any scholarly articles on the matter); regardless in addition to the predation method asked about in the other thread (see the quote below), you could try bottle-trapping them and whittling down the numbers that way too.
A coral-safe, crustacean-eating invert for a tropical tank that can be purchased by hobbyists is a bit of tough one as far as I know.

Mantis shrimp are an obvious choice, but they'd need pulled out before adding fish back; large brittle/serpent stars may eat them; I've heard anecdotes that large hermits and larger/reef-safe with caution shrimp may eat them as well.

Those would be my best suggestions at this point.

I know some bristleworms species will eat pods too, but I think you'd have a hard time finding what species are on the market you can buy.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I predicted that because the glass and the rocks get algae on them a day after I clean them also the local LFS owner looked at the tank and said it probably has high phosphates which may be a cause for the algae (probably is).
I'd find a new LFS...

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG-2244.JPG
IMG-2242.JPG
IMG-2245.JPG

Here are a few of the pictures of the amphipods, apologies about the purple mark that's from a laser damage done to the camera of the phone.

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've heard a lot of anecdotes about amphipods eating coral when the population gets large enough (oddly, I can't find any scholarly articles on the matter); regardless in addition to the predation method asked about in the other thread (see the quote below), you could try bottle-trapping them and whittling down the numbers that way too.
I think I'll do that, thank you for the help ISpeakForTheSeas, one last thing could you help me identify the amphipods above?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I've got a problem with amphipods, there are thousands of them in my reef tank literally everywhere is blooming with amphipods and I want to get rid of them. They irritate my corals so much that my corals are nearly retracted during most of the day because of them, my acantho was normally retracted I took it, turned it upside down and shook it before putting it back in its place and it got huge expanded nearly 3x its size, I'm convinced these bugs are bothering my corals which are nearly all LPS corals. Is there any way I can get rid of them? I cannot place any fish in the tank because I have marine ich and I am on a fallow period, I've got a skunk cleaner shrimp that does not seem to be hunting them often. I need to get rid of them somehow they are bothering my corals as I have seen the acantho that never expanded expand extremely well after I got rid of the amphipods on him, are there any inverts that consume these creatures?
Theyre getting a food source and will consist mainly of algae. Predators, mainly wrasses while it will take time will reduce them. You can pull rock without coral and dip them and pods will not survive.
Interceptor treatment as a last resort is a sure bet

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll do that, thank you for the help ISpeakForTheSeas, one last thing could you help me identify the amphipods above?
Not from the pics above, unfortunately. Pod ID can be difficult, and it often requires pics of top and underside of the pod, with special focus (sometimes from both the too and bottom) on the head/mouth, antennae, legs, and tail.

OP
OP
T

TheMysticGriffin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not from the pics above, unfortunately. Pod ID can be difficult, and it often requires pics of top and underside of the pod, with special focus (sometimes from both the too and bottom) on the head/mouth, antennae, legs, and tail.
Oh alright, I have some pictures of the dead amphipods that are more clearer but are maybe not enough for ID, should I send them?

cale_tino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a problem with amphipods, there are thousands of them in my reef tank literally everywhere is blooming with amphipods and I want to get rid of them. They irritate my corals so much that my corals are nearly retracted during most of the day because of them, my acantho was normally retracted I took it, turned it upside down and shook it before putting it back in its place and it got huge expanded nearly 3x its size, I'm convinced these bugs are bothering my corals which are nearly all LPS corals. Is there any way I can get rid of them? I cannot place any fish in the tank because I have marine ich and I am on a fallow period, I've got a skunk cleaner shrimp that does not seem to be hunting them often. I need to get rid of them somehow they are bothering my corals as I have seen the acantho that never expanded expand extremely well after I got rid of the amphipods on him, are there any inverts that consume these creatures?
Mandarin Gobi love those things

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back