What is this black patch all over my torch?

fishkeeperscotland

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 3, 2023
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Location
Edinburgh
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I purchased quite a large torch coral, on getting it home I found there to be a large black band around a major part of the coral skeleton, is this cyano/bacterial infection or dying tissue? Should I be concerned?
Had I seen this in the shop I wouldn’t have bought it. The trough was so full on display you couldn’t see the base. I’ve contacted the store today with photos and yet to have a reapnse
Thanks!

IMG_1170.jpeg IMG_1167.jpeg IMG_1166.jpeg IMG_1163.jpeg
 
Yesterday I purchased quite a large torch coral, on getting it home I found there to be a large black band around a major part of the coral skeleton, is this cyano/bacterial infection or dying tissue? Should I be concerned?
Had I seen this in the shop I wouldn’t have bought it. The trough was so full on display you couldn’t see the base. I’ve contacted the store today with photos and yet to have a reapnse
Thanks!

IMG_1170.jpeg IMG_1167.jpeg IMG_1166.jpeg IMG_1163.jpeg
This looks like Black Band Disease. Get the coral out of your DT and into QT right away. This spreads and can kill other corals. Siphon off as much as possible and then dip it before putting in your QT where it will hopefully heal.
 
This looks like Black Band Disease. Get the coral out of your DT and into QT right away. This spreads and can kill other corals. Siphon off as much as possible and then dip it before putting in your QT where it will hopefully heal.
I got a reply from the fish shop, he thinks it’s a black sponge which is apparently quite common on them. I rubbed it gently with toothbrush and it pretty much all came off so that’s good news! Will see how it goes but it’s looking a lot healthier now.
Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 34 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 15 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new