What is this bug? Looks like a tiny grub.

nicolehuntah

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 1, 2022
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
new york
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve captured this little critter and I’m wondering if anyone knows? I tried some reverse image searches and clicked through threads but I’m not totally sure. It does roll into a ball.

I don’t have many fish in there so my arthropod population is crazy at the moment. It’s been 6 months with a lot of opportunity for them to multiply



IMG_8834.jpeg

IMG_8830.jpeg

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8849.jpeg

IMG_8839.jpeg

IMG_8838.jpeg
 
Its really hard to see what your looking at in those pictures a light background helps. Your description of it rolling into a ball coupled with it's general shape makes me think intertidal isopod eg the family Sphaeromatidae.

Edit: does it roll into a tight ball like a terrestrial isopod? Or a C shape?
 
yeah sorry about the photos. Didn’t have another good option to get brightest light possible. It rolls into a pretty tight ball like a terrestrial one
 
I’ve captured this little critter and I’m wondering if anyone knows? I tried some reverse image searches and clicked through threads but I’m not totally sure. It does roll into a ball.

I don’t have many fish in there so my arthropod population is crazy at the moment. It’s been 6 months with a lot of opportunity for them to multiply



IMG_8834.jpeg

IMG_8830.jpeg

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8849.jpeg

IMG_8839.jpeg

IMG_8838.jpeg
This is an isopod and remove it if you cam. Some are parasitic which some are scavengers
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new