What is this coral and why does it pump only at night?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thejacgues
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 4, 2022
Messages
65
Reaction score
13
Location
Poland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This coral in the day time is flat and looks similarly to Fungia. Pumps only in the night time and increases its volume even 20-fold. What is is and why does it pump when the lights are off?

IMG20221109004635.jpg
 
This coral in the day time is flat and looks similarly to Fungia. Pumps only in the night time and increases its volume even 20-fold. What is is and why does it pump when the lights are off?

IMG20221109004635.jpg

Pic of it during day time?
 
By the looks of it...it looks like a Mushroom Coral. But, I'm not sure!
 
Cant be precise but you are spot on, it belongs to the Fungiidae family (Fungia, Cycloseris, Lithophyllon etc). Basically the plate/dome/tongue corals. Regarding the puffing up at night, I cant tell u for sure why they do this but I can assure you its normal. My dome coral of 1 year and half does this frequently once lights are off.

It doesnt show on the pic but when it does puff up, it looks exactly like yours.
 

Attachments

  • 8F1D314B-9089-4215-BF2D-D8AA05726F66.jpeg
    8F1D314B-9089-4215-BF2D-D8AA05726F66.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 172
This is how looks before it pumps (so basically always when the lights are on). It pumps only at night. I also have fungia color and it's as any other LPS - gets bigger in daytime, gets smaller st night. The fiolet fungia-like coral on contrary, which I find exceptional and a bit difficult to understand.
IMG20221110013735.jpg
 
This is how looks before it pumps (so basically always when the lights are on). It pumps only at night. I also have fungia color and it's as any other LPS - gets bigger in daytime, gets smaller st night. The fiolet fungia-like coral on contrary, which I find exceptional and a bit difficult to understand.
IMG20221110013735.jpg
Depends actually. My candy canes and Favia expand after dark with their tentacles out.
 
Yeah the same here with the tentacles, but size-wise all LPS with a soft tissue tend to be more pumped and bigger during the day, this one being an exception. It also doesn't have any tentacles, so I wonder if he pumps like that to catch food or for any other reason.
 
This is how looks before it pumps (so basically always when the lights are on). It pumps only at night. I also have fungia color and it's as any other LPS - gets bigger in daytime, gets smaller st night. The fiolet fungia-like coral on contrary, which I find exceptional and a bit difficult to understand.
IMG20221110013735.jpg
Yep that looks like a plate coral
 
This is a really late reply but mine are all mostly closed at night. I believe they rest during that period. Save energy for morning feed. Absorb and process from day activity. Each day they open back up.
 
Looks like Cycloseris; most "Fungia" in the hobby are actually from that genus. Most fungiids have the ability to inflate like that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new