What is this gray stuff on my protein skimmer cable?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I finished cycling my 55 gallon freshwater with starter nitrifying bacteria (worked on my betta tank in one day so I gave it a shot on my 55), the ammonia cloudiness from the zebra danios was gone in one day in my 55g but I could feel this slimness on the tanks lid and anything with rubber in it after 2 weeks, (it apparently loves to grow on rubber and it seems to grow much faster near my current) ammonia and nitrates were near 0, then I dumped reef crystals salt in as well as baking soda for the ph increase, the 150 gallon skimmer(will eventually get a reef octopus bh2000) cable which was inside since day 1 felt very slimy I used tap water to rub off the slime but not all of it was scrubbed off, it still remained oily, now 3 weeks later this stuff has grown on that cable out of pretty much nowhere, all I have added is my jebao rw8 on max waves with the added salt, when the slimness appeared on freshwater(the skimmer was in there since the beginning) it didn't have hairs or looked this big apparently the salinity and higher ph has given this thing a shape, no dry rock or dry sand yet, nothing living in it, temp is 73f. Tank has finished cycling, ammonia and nitrate are on the safe level, it runs on 10 white led strips, I don't want it growing out of control in the future or hiding then messing up my tank if it is 'something bad' or a 'pest', lights are barely used, I used microbacter7 before and after the change from fw to sw because I've read the bacteria colonies do die from the drastic 0-1.021 salinity change in 3 minutes lol, they can't just survive that although I thought they would

5EDF05BE-F9E2-4B06-842D-42303231EC04.jpeg FFA06E2C-6477-497B-85D6-95D5708654D0.png

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 33 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 5 7.8%
Back