What is this in my Refugium?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely check my refugium and today I did... it’s grown over in GHA as normal but then there’s an ominous red blob sitting on top of it. I keep the light on 24/7 and I run a high nutrient system.
300E068A-B6A2-46D4-89AE-25CF5E545F84.jpeg

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the only reason people hate this stuff is because it’s unsightly and it bothers corals, correct?
Yes but if you keep it contained in the fuge it can grow there and not in your dt. On the downside in that it. If it does continue to proliferate in that that spot and grow, it will kill off the gha and you’ll have a cyano garden instead lol

I wouldn’t run the light 24/7. It does nothing but waste electricity really.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but if you keep it contained in the fuge it can grow there and not in your dt. On the downside in that it. If it does continue to proliferate in that that spot and grow, it will kill off the gha and you’ll have a cyano garden instead lol

I wouldn’t run the light 24/7. It does nothing but waste electricity really.
Ah, my reason for running it all the time was to ensure algae growth was back there and not in the display. I’ve had problems with it on my gorgonians and that’s never good so I didn’t want to take any slight chance

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back