What is this in my tank?!?

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I just picked up a piece of live rock for my tank today and found this thing on it. I think it is a brittle star but I don’t know for sure. If it is, are they bad? (I’m sorry I didn’t get a good picture when it was out but I captured a pic of its leg). Please help me out here I just don’t want any pests in my tank.

CD90EA5F-ACCA-4347-A40F-38F7175C7001.jpeg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, definitely a micro brittle star. I had a few hitchhike in on my live rock in my first tank. Love these little guys! They're great members of the clean up crew as they can get into the deeper crevices of the rock where other CUC can't go. You can actually spot feed them too. You'll notice their little tentacles sticking out from the holes in the rock during feeding time.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, definitely a micro brittle star. I had a few hitchhike in on my live rock in my first tank. Love these little guys! They're great members of the clean up crew as they can get into the deeper crevices of the rock where other CUC can't go. You can actually spot feed them too. You'll notice their little tentacles sticking out from the holes in the rock during feeding time.
Thank you!

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they get?
Not very big at all. Their legs can get to be an inch long, maybe two, and their center body is typically about half the size of a pencil eraser. They stay small so they can hide in the rockwork.

Their population can get quite large though if you feed a lot, particular broadcast feeding as they can catch food from the water column with their legs. At one point I had a ton of them and was pulling them out of my filter floss during every water change, but when I dialed back my feeding their population dwindled. They're much like bristleworms in that their population typically matches your feeding level.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very big at all. Their legs can get to be an inch long, maybe two, and their center body is typically about half the size of a pencil eraser. They stay small so they can hide in the rockwork.

Their population can get quite large though if you feed a lot, particular broadcast feeding as they can catch food from the water column with their legs. At one point I had a ton of them and was pulling them out of my filter floss during every water change, but when I dialed back my feeding their population dwindled. They're much like bristleworms in that their population typically matches your feeding level.
So would I want to keep or remove them?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would I want to keep or remove them?
Keep them! Even if their population grows they won't hurt anything. They're a wonderful addition to the clean up crew and they're not something you can typically buy so count yourself lucky that you got one for free!

I actually had people asking to buy some of mine when I had so many because like I said, you typically can't purchase them. (Although, I think there's a guy here on R2R that's selling them now as he's having a similar population explosion.)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro brittle stars are cool!
I rarely see mine out and about -- just their arms sticking out of rocks at fish feeding time.

*I see them for sale on eBay pretty cheap but that's probably a risky endeavor, in terms of possible fish disease/parasites/etc.

I bought 6 in a ball of chaeto off eBay like a year ago (before I knew any better) -- still going strong and no problems introduced but not sure I'd go that route again.

I've posted this pic of a couple of mine before but I like the pic so (((sorry))):

micro_star1.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro brittle stars are cool!
I rarely see mine out and about -- just their arms sticking out of rocks at fish feeding time.

*I see them for sale on eBay pretty cheap but that's probably a risky endeavor, in terms of possible fish disease/parasites/etc.

I bought 6 in a ball of chaeto off eBay like a year ago (before I knew any better) -- still going strong and no problems introduced but not sure I'd go that route again.

I've posted this pic of a couple of mine before but I like the pic so (((sorry))):

micro_star1.jpeg
Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back