What is this in the net?

rahul123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This mushroom shaped thing appeared in the net of water inlet of my display tank from sump.
Any idea what is it? Good/bad?
Attached image below:

20231229_165758.jpg

OP
OP
R

rahul123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need a better picture than this, because it’s hard to tell.

But if I had to guess - that’s probably cyano.

Thanks mate.

I am not sure, I don't have cyano in my entire tank though. It is a 2 year old tank and water parameters are stable.

Please find another picture.

20231229_181202.jpg

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really does not look like cyano, but the likely answer is half correct. It looks to me almost exactly like purple plating photosynthetic sponge, which plays host to cyanobacterium in order to photosynthesize. If I'm right, you're lucky because most people pay to get it in their systems. Keep note that it *can* become a pest in some instances as it grows faster than most coral & has potent chemical warfare- think GSP or Palys. It can be killed with a dose of chemiclean to kill it's host bacterium, after which it will turn white and starve.
May also be a macroalgae of some sort, but I am unaware of a macro of that color.

OP
OP
R

rahul123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awful lot like a cyano to me, but I can be wrong.

Cyano can form in perfect water parameters as well, usually in locations where the flow is insufficient.

Try to poke it, see if it falls apart, if it’s a film or a jelly like substance.

It is spongy but not falling apart. The area is a high flow area (water is coming from sump to display tank here).

It is kind of spongy mushroom.

OP
OP
R

rahul123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really does not look like cyano, but the likely answer is half correct. It looks to me almost exactly like purple plating photosynthetic sponge, which plays host to cyanobacterium in order to photosynthesize. If I'm right, you're lucky because most people pay to get it in their systems. Keep note that it *can* become a pest in some instances as it grows faster than most coral & has potent chemical warfare- think GSP or Palys. It can be killed with a dose of chemiclean to kill it's host bacterium, after which it will turn white and starve.
May also be a macroalgae of some sort, but I am unaware of a macro of that color.

It is spongy and attached to the net, not falling apart. It is there only in the net, not in the rocks, sand or glass.

Note: Display tank have lot of pineapple sponges and spirorbid worms.

SG: 1.024
PH: 8.4
Alk: 8.5
Temp: 79
Cal: 410
Mag: 1350
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10.5
Phosphate: 0.05

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is spongy and attached to the net, not falling apart. It is there only in the net, not in the rocks, sand or glass.

Note: Display tank have lot of pineapple sponges and spirorbid worms.

SG: 1.024
PH: 8.4
Alk: 8.5
Temp: 79
Cal: 410
Mag: 1350
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10.5
Phosphate: 0.05
Parameters all look good. No one thing would cause these to pop up, they can just appear in some tanks (usually if there were sponges in the same system as a frag or rock you have added). A lot of hobbyists will spend money to get them since they can be very attractive in certain lights.

OP
OP
R

rahul123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters all look good. No one thing would cause these to pop up, they can just appear in some tanks (usually if there were sponges in the same system as a frag or rock you have added). A lot of hobbyists will spend money to get them since they can be very attractive in certain lights.

++ video added

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back