Tigger copepod culture with only Isochrysis?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I culture Tigger copepods by only feeding live Isochrysis galbana? Has anyone done this before?
I've recently received some Tigger pods and Iso is the only live phyto I'm culturing at the moment.
If not, what else should they be fed with? (Other than other different strains of phyto because I don't want to do the extra work of culturing more phyto, unless I really really have to).

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW you can “sometimes” make your own DIY “wild” phyto from just aquarium water …
I forget the exact size micro sleeve to run it through but you basically want to remove the larger “bugs”, add F/2 , add air, light et

Anyway just reading all of the “green water” threads scattered about makes me believe phyto is in every/most tanks anyway

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW you can “sometimes” make your own DIY “wild” phyto from just aquarium water …
I forget the exact size micro sleeve to run it through but you basically want to remove the larger “bugs”, add F/2 , add air, light et

Anyway just reading all of the “green water” threads scattered about makes me believe phyto is in every/most tanks anyway
That'd be interesting to try but my guess would be some type of macro algae spore from the tank water (like hair algae) would make it and start to grow?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'd be interesting to try but my guess would be some type of macro algae spore from the tank water (like hair algae) would make it and start to grow?
yes and no….
Absolutely no way to isolate a mono culture like you get from a commercial outfit,
but OTOH over fertilized tank water in a vessel is almost guaranteed to go green, from there not hard to decant phyto cells…
added: almost guaranteed..
from that point green water will surely outcompete whatever else is in the water under the right culturing setup …

..the time water filling up a 2l bottle and adding f/2 can’t possibly be that much effort, again worth a shot

…also think of it this way, if you dumped f/2 into your display what would you think are the odds of nothing happening vs your tank water turning green?
…basically the causes of hair algae vs “green water” has some overlap but obviously both don’t always occur in tandem
I know you gotta clean your cultures eventually but there is some time between a clean phyto culture and nasty hair algae coated vessels

Last edited:
OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and no….
Absolutely no way to isolate a mono culture like you get from a commercial outfit,
but OTOH over fertilized tank water in a vessel is almost guaranteed to go green, from there not hard to decant phyto cells…
from that point green water will surely outcompete whatever else is in the water under the right culturing setup …

..the time water filling up a 2l bottle and adding f/2 can’t possibly be that much effort, again worth a shot

…also think of it this way, if you dumped f/2 into your display what would you think are the odds of nothing happening vs your tank water turning green?
…basically the causes of hair algae vs “green water” has some overlap but obviously both don’t always occur in tandem
I know you gotta clean your cultures eventually but there is some time between a clean phyto culture and nasty hair algae coated vessels
Interesting idea. I guess one could even try adding some silica along with the f/2 to the tank water sample and make diatom out compete whatever else that's in there. If one wanted to.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I think also it’s hard to not get “phyto eaters” in with the culture …
…didn’t think about diatoms & adding silica….clever

.I shouldn’t have said guaranteed but almost

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, I think also it’s hard to not get “phyto eaters” in with the culture …
…didn’t think about diatoms & adding silica….clever

.I shouldn’t have said guaranteed but almost
Let's say I managed to culture some random phyto from my tank, what do you think the chances of that phyto not being suitable food for the pods?
Do you reckon they'd eat pretty much most kind of phyto?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's say I managed to culture some random phyto from my tank, what do you think the chances of that phyto not being suitable food for the pods?
Do you reckon they'd eat pretty much most kind of phyto?
Not sure, I do know the different phyto strains have different profiles. Just guessing but I’d bet run-o-mill tank phyto would work but “wild”. phyto is more crash prone just because of purity I. suppose…
I tried tigger pods twice, 1st try I “think” I used the powdered stuff (I think) …any it resulted in insane numbers, couldn’t duplicate it twice, no clue why

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow pods in a shallow tub outside on my porch. Just some tank water sunlight, the occasional bug or leaf. Sometimes I add a little fertilizer if I think of it and the water isn't as green as I think it should be.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I culture Tigger copepods by only feeding live Isochrysis galbana? Has anyone done this before?
I know I'm late to the party here, but to answer this original question - it has reportedly been done before, so yes, it seems you can; most reports I've read used a blend of Iso with another phyto though.

The source that discusses this in depth is only available as a download, but it's called "Sensitivity of the Marine Copepod Tigriopus californicus to Ultraviolet-B (290-320 nm) Radiation" - it's Linda Kay Chalker's thesis.

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm late to the party here, but to answer this original question - it has reportedly been done before, so yes, it seems you can; most reports I've read used a blend of Iso with another phyto though.

The source that discusses this in depth is only available as a download, but it's called "Sensitivity of the Marine Copepod Tigriopus californicus to Ultraviolet-B (290-320 nm) Radiation" - it's Linda Kay Chalker's thesis.
Thank you for the info! I'll check it out.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 12.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.2%
Back