Culturing pods

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to culture my own Phyto and pods and i'm wondering if I have to culture species of pods seperate like strands of phyto or can I mix several in the same batch? Do they out compete and I end up with only 1 species ?

SALTWATER FISH HIPPIE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let
My pods party and it works wonders. I used to never let them cut loose and have fun and I never saw any hardly ever and when I did they just kinda moped around. Once I lifted the curfew and changed hair algae to a class 2 algae my pods have been thriving like this.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm starting to culture my own Phyto and pods and i'm wondering if I have to culture species of pods seperate like strands of phyto or can I mix several in the same batch? Do they out compete and I end up with only 1 species ?

Hi there, Just like @Jobu183 said, you do need to culture them separately in order to see success! Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Bigwrasse

Bigwrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, Just like @Jobu183 said, you do need to culture them separately in order to see success! Best of luck to you!
What species would you recommend if I were going to do 3? Also do they require lights like phyto or being on a rack below my phyto be enough?

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any species will work; just be aware that if you have any cross-contamination, or your culture isn't pure, the largest of the species will outcompete for the food source. So while copepods don't absolutely need light for survival, that doesn't mean that they can survive without it. Like many animals, light or the absence of light plays a strong role in their dinural and reproductive behavior. We actually have a really great article on our blog that you can read to get more information about this! Here is the link.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back