What is this Majano? Aptasia? other?

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Emergency maybe not I noticed 2 of these guys over the past week and I do not know what they are.
IMG_5897.jpeg

This one is more reddish.
IMG_5896.jpeg
The other is more brownish with some red but I have not Seen it since I covered it with glue and a small rock.
IMG_5871.jpeg

IMG_5872.jpeg

Whatever it is if it is a pest how can I remove it?

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
File Fish. They are pretty much unavoidable. If you use Aptasia X or a majano wand it will just make them spread quicker. Yiu might get lucky with peppermint shrimp but I have been through a few dozen and only had one batch that ate them. They don't last long either. I've had my file fish for 4 years and haven't seen a nem since. They are cheap too. Nudis are an expensive option but they will die off quick as well. You need something in there that constantly hunts... a file fish. Or just deal with it. If you leave it alone it won't spread quick. You can also take a ball of epoxy and cover the whole.

I'd address the bubble algae as well. Vibrant is the only thing that worked for me. Emerald crabs cant keep up so are a waste of time but cool to watch.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File Fish. They are pretty much unavoidable. If you use Aptasia X or a majano wand it will just make them spread quicker. Yiu might get lucky with peppermint shrimp but I have been through a few dozen and only had one batch that ate them. They don't last long either. I've had my file fish for 4 years and haven't seen a nem since. They are cheap too. Nudis are an expensive option but they will die off quick as well. You need something in there that constantly hunts... a file fish. Or just deal with it. If you leave it alone it won't spread quick. You can also take a ball of epoxy and cover the whole.
I would think my only option would be peppermint shrimps as a filefish would be to big for a 15 gal with clowns.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ahh sorry that's too small. Try the epoxy. There's a vendor that guarantees their peppermint eat aptasia. Maybe someone will post it. In my experience most don't. They are a cool addition to the tank though. Most I got out of a batch was 6 months.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's aiptasia.

Peppermint Shrimp or F-Aiptasia.

Also Coral Putty works to smother them on ledges or angles you don't want to accidentally drip F-Aiptasia on corals below.

I've had success with all 3 and am now aiptasia free.

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's aiptasia.

Peppermint Shrimp or F-Aiptasia.

Also Coral Putty works to smother them on ledges or angles you don't want to accidentally drip F-Aiptasia on corals below.

I've had success with all 3 and am now aiptasia free.
Ok thanks! I asked above but are there any species of peppermint shrimp that are more likely to eat aptasia?

OP
OP
PizzaIan339

PizzaIan339

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS and picked up this peppermint (or I think it is) this weekend!
IMG_5915.jpeg
IMG_5913.jpeg

Hopefully between me and this guy I can at least control if not eliminate the aptasia!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back