What Is This On My Achilles Tang?

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Achilles has been in Copper Power at 2.01 - 2.09 ppm for over two weeks and has had 2 doses of PraziPro already. I was thinking about transferring him into my DT and I noticed some marks on him this morning. He is in a tank with a Harlequin Tusk and they do sometimes fight over food even though I overfeed them like crazy. Could this be a result of the Tusk nipping him? Or is this something else?
AchillesMarks.jpg

I am seriously sick of loosing fish and really hope this is nothing.

@reefsquared @HotRocks @4FordFamily @ngoodermuth

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely marks from aggression based on your description. They don't look parasitic in nature to me.

Ditto. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they heal properly and don’t become infected (ie. No redness, white discolored or fuzzy patches around them etc)

If you are planning to transfer to your DT today anyway, can give an antiseptic bath en route for good measure. All my fish get a ruby reef rally (acriflavine) bath between QT and my tank as an extra precaution.

OP
OP
Marco S

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. Just keep an eye on them to make sure they heal properly and don’t become infected (ie. No redness, white discolored or fuzzy patches around them etc)

If you are planning to transfer to your DT today anyway, can give an antiseptic bath en route for good measure. All my fish get a ruby reef rally (acriflavine) bath between QT and my tank as an extra precaution.

I was planning on watching him for another few days, but really want to get him out of the copper QT and into a clean tank. Where do you get Ruby Reef Rally from? Not sure if any of my LFS's carry it, but I'll start calling around.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on watching him for another few days, but really want to get him out of the copper QT and into a clean tank. Where do you get Ruby Reef Rally from? Not sure if any of my LFS's carry it, but I'll start calling around.

I got mine at my LFS, but I’m pretty sure you can get it on amazon. You need enough for roughly 5ml per gallon bath. I usually use a 5-gallon bucket with a small heater and airline.

API Fungus cure also contains acriflavine, and can be used in a bath as well.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 110 43.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 121 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 23 9.1%
Back