What is this on my longhorn Cowfish?

enoodles82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, found this white thing on my longhorn Cowfish few days after introducing into my tank. Treated for ich in quarantine, and then this thing on his belly. It almost looks like it's a worm or something Any thoughts?
PXL_20221209_200633641.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all, found this white thing on my longhorn Cowfish few days after introducing into my tank. Treated for ich in quarantine, and then this thing on his belly. It almost looks like it's a worm or something Any thoughts?
Admiring such a nice pic almost forgot issue. These fish are wild caught and often come with issue, eventually starve to death and get ich. Good water quality and diet help with overall health.
It appears to be a trematode or Piscicolidae worm but not sure completely

@Jay Hemdal - your thoughts?

OP
OP
E

enoodles82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Admiring such a nice pic almost forgot issue. These fish are wild caught and often come with issue, eventually starve to death and get ich. Good water quality and diet help with overall health.
It appears to be a trematode or Piscicolidae worm but not sure completely

@Jay Hemdal - your thoughts?
Thanks, helps that they are curious little buggers. Was concerned about his final size and asked the LFS if he would be ok in a 55 gallon when full grown. They advised me it would be fine. Simple google result when I got home proved that very wrong. Guess who's planning a new build already! Wife's going to love that....

Side note, was considering a freshwater dip should this be a parasite of sorts, but not sure if the stress is good for this type of fish due to the toxins.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks, helps that they are curious little buggers. Was concerned about his final size and asked the LFS if he would be ok in a 55 gallon when full grown. They advised me it would be fine. Simple google result when I got home proved that very wrong. Guess who's planning a new build already! Wife's going to love that....

Side note, was considering a freshwater dip should this be a parasite of sorts, but not sure if the stress is good for this type of fish due to the toxins.
They are not easy fish. Largest ive seen in over 3 decades are 4"

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like a spot of mucus to me. Even if it were a parasite, just one won’t be an issue.

What did you treat it for ich with?

Jay

OP
OP
E

enoodles82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

That looks like a spot of mucus to me. Even if it were a parasite, just one won’t be an issue.

What did you treat it for ich with?

Jay
Thanks Jay. I'm feeling a little better knowing you don't seem alerted by it. I used Fritz Copersafe to treat the ich in a 10 gallon quarantine.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back