What is this on SPS

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very hard to see but I see these white polyp looking things on my monti? Is it nudis?

I have no idea what it is.. Parameters are spot on.

This Is the underneath of the cap.
Thanks peeps

20240213_071624.jpg

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very hard to see but I see these white polyp looking things on my monti? Is it nudis?

I have no idea what it is.. Parameters are spot on.

This Is the underneath of the cap.
Thanks peeps

20240213_071624.jpg
Yes, monti eating nudibranch. Sorry you're having to deal with this. How much montipora do you have? Pic of tank?

OP
OP
Pricey95

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, monti eating nudibranch. Sorry you're having to deal with this. How much montipora do you have? Pic of tank?
I've only got 3 small ish colonies.

It wiped out my hystrix and another frag of monti. Is it worth saving? Doesn't look unhealthy.

Attachments

• 20240125_133730.jpg
    20240125_133730.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 79

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add any more monti while you have the active infection. I think that's a given, but you never know. Since those are smaller pieces without a lot of crevices, you could remove them weekly for a dip and may beat them, but there's no guarantee. This sounds harsh, but if it were me I'd toss them and have no montipora for a few months to starve them out. I say months because not a whole lot seems known about their lifecycle and there's some anecdotes about them living for quite a while with no montipora in the tank. At least you know what the problem is and why you lost the frags.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on tank size, a yellow halichoeres wrasse would be a great option for biological control. Or a melanarus.

OP
OP
Pricey95

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add any more monti while you have the active infection. I think that's a given, but you never know. Since those are smaller pieces without a lot of crevices, you could remove them weekly for a dip and may beat them, but there's no guarantee. This sounds harsh, but if it were me I'd toss them and have no montipora for a few months to starve them out. I say months because not a whole lot seems known about their lifecycle and there's some anecdotes about them living for quite a while with no montipora in the tank. At least you know what the problem is and why you lost the frags.
Thanks for the reply.
What should I be dipping it with?
Been told to squirt them off?

Also, it might like you said be worth chucking as my other big caps haven't got any on and don't want it spreading

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply.
What should I be dipping it with?
Been told to squirt them off?

Also, it might like you said be worth chucking as my other big caps haven't got any on and don't want it spreading
Your other big caps are likely already infected. These nudibranchs travel for food and top the list of worst pest for most coral farmers. Dip in something like revive or PolypLab Reef Primer and agitate heavily. Especially around the bottom edges where flesh meets skeleton. Invest in a quality Nalgene wash bottle to help with this.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seachem Reef Dip Coral Disinfectant, 1​

Can work, but not as effective as other dips that stun or kill pests like Revive, DipX, CoralRx, Reef Primer, Medicoral, etc. I'd recommend picking up one of those options. I personally like to have Reef Primer (or KCl salt) and Revive on hand.

OP
OP
Pricey95

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ended up chucking the plate, and snapping my big caps ro where there's none.

Or shouod I chuck it all?

OP
OP
Pricey95

Pricey95

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can work, but not as effective as other dips that stun or kill pests like Revive, DipX, CoralRx, Reef Primer, Medicoral, etc. I'd recommend picking up one of those options. I personally like to have Reef Primer (or KCl salt) and Revive on hand.
Also, it's not going to start eating other stuff is it?

Per say I got rid of every bit of monti for 6 months?

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it's not going to start eating other stuff is it?

Per say I got rid of every bit of monti for 6 months?
They literally are unable to eat anything but montipora, so nothing else is at stake. They will starve out. Just go without and monits for a few months, and you should be good.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back