What is this?

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been at this for many years. I've not seen something like this. It is slimy. Easily comes off the rock when rubbed. Only grows on the sides facing the lights. Gray in color. Has a few bubbles here and there. I can remove it with a siphon but it grows right back. Never seems to get larger (longer) than what you can see. Its throughout the tank but more in areas with lower flow. I think its some sort of biofilm that is bacterial related. My tank is extremely low nutrients and I believe I may be adding too much "good" bacteria. I've cut back on dosing both microbacter7 and Dr. Tims Waste Away to see if anything changes. It does irritate coral. Thoughts?
IMG_2564.jpeg

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS My parameters are all extremely consistent and within appropriate levels. That is....the ones that are measurable. Just sent off an ICP test today to split the hairs and see what's going on

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is on a 3 month rotation for changing per manufacturer’s instructions, but I’ve considered that because I know carbon can leach elements, especially when becoming saturated. I’m at two months on this cycle.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no pro, but that looks like matting bacteria to me.

I doubt that there is any bacteria in Dr. Tims or Macrobacter that would do this, but there could be other fertilizers in bottles that encouraged this growth.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stumped. Even the fish store is uncertain. It doesn't appear to be spreading. But it doesn't appear to be dying. I've increased flow over the tank for now and mailed an ICP test in case I'm missing something I can't measure. It does appear to have some stringy elements to it that were not there before. But these appear different than compared to something like GHA. They are flat and do contain a few bubbles. Are there different kinds of cyano?

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a better image of what's growing on the rock. Does this help anyone ID this stuff?

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I've experienced when dosing excessive carbon (vodka, vinegar, sugar) to a tank with low nutrients.

I was told it was bacterial in natu
That's exactly what I've experienced when dosing excessive carbon (vodka, vinegar, sugar) to a tank with low nutrients.

I was told it was bacterial in nature.
what did you do to correct it?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I just saw your new post and realized I didn't respond to you.

I raised my nitrates and phosphates and it solved the issue.

I'm not sure if you have an ulns because you chose to, or if it's a natural result of your tank. But it wouldn't hurt to raise your n and p.

OP
OP
RussC

RussC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did choose to go ULN. Knowing that, I realized there would be a learning curve in the water management side. I’d been in the hobby almost 6 years, got bored, deconstructed and completely remodeled my tank to take on another part of this hobby in the sps world. This remodel has been running since February. So it’s very young in tank years. I’ve gotten exactly what I asked for! I’m engaged every single day. It’s been a lot of fun.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back