What is this???

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Helpful people,

My 250l tank has been going for 1 month 24 days, with fish in, going through bit of Algea bloom and have noticed I've these dots on the sand bed and loads particles going through the water as per video. What is this, should I be worried?

Thanks.

20231201_171853.jpg 20231201_171838.jpg

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Helpful people,

My 250l tank has been going for 1 month 24 days, with fish in, going through bit of Algea bloom and have noticed I've these dots on the sand bed and loads particles going through the water as per video. What is this, should I be worried?

Thanks.

20231201_171853.jpg 20231201_171838.jpg

Attachments

• 20231201_171752.mp4
    21.4 MB

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like copepods. Good critters that eat detritus/microalgae and provide a live food source for many fish.

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like copepods. Good critters that eat detritus/microalgae and provide a live food source for many fish.
No Way!!! I just chucked loads in at the weekend hoping it would take!! Do you have an idea of what the black dots on the sand bed is? Thanks

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think they're moving, some of them were floating around for a bit. Sorry for not being much help.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also agree with others as copepods, really hard to tell from pics/videos.
I just assume this as it a new setup, did you use live rock/ sand or both, are they transparent/white, do they look like mini Shrimp or alien like lol, what fish/snails/ crabs/corals have you added

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your net is in the reflection lol, what are you trying to catch lol :) :)
Also appears direct sunlight, I would try to avoid this in early stages as it will increase the hair algae growth (friendly advice :) )

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also agree with others as copepods, really hard to tell from pics/videos.
I just assume this as it a new setup, did you use live rock/ sand or both, are they transparent/white, do they look like mini Shrimp or alien like lol, what fish/snails/ crabs/corals have you added
I used rock from a previous tank, but not purchased live rock. Used live sand though.

I can't seem to get a better picture of them they look more like left over food more than anything, but haven't been overfeeding them.

Got a variety of turbo snails
Crowded
Emerald Crab
Halloween Hermit Crab × 3 although haven't seen them for a while
Torch coral
Zoas
Kenyan tree
Xenia
Rocordia Mushroom
Rodactus Mushrooms
Leather coral
Toadstool mushroom

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Way!!! I just chucked loads in at the weekend hoping it would take!! Do you have an idea of what the black dots on the sand bed is? Thanks
Maybe some died from what you added and possibly just skin/ carcuss /malts just floating around until it finds your filters (just guessing)

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe some died from what you added and possibly just skin/ carcuss /malts just floating around until it finds your filters (just guessing)
Maybe, thanks that does make some sense, do I need to get rid or should I just leave the clean up crew to do their thing

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, thanks that does make some sense, do I need to get rid or should I just leave the clean up crew to do their thing
Abit of both I guess, do you add anything for your cuc to eat (additional supplements) like algae wafers or pellets, I would not solely rely on algae growth to support cuc, hair algae grows so fast to a point where nothing/ no cuc will eat it

OP
OP
F

fishnoob~noclue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Abit of both I guess, do you add anything for your cuc to eat (additional supplements) like algae wafers or pellets, I would not solely rely on algae growth to support cuc, hair algae grows so fast to a point where nothing/ no cuc will eat it
Hi Rick I have some hair algea that I think is too big for my emerald to eat, honestly not sure what to do?

No I haven't added anything extra for them to eat, what's good to use?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Rick I have some hair algea that I think is too big for my emerald to eat, honestly not sure what to do?

No I haven't added anything extra for them to eat, what's good to use?
Crab cuisine, algae wafers or similar, even nori or seaweed on a clip, my hermit's and snails go mad for algae wafers, these only cost a couple of ££ in UK but the more variety you offer the better, you Will see which they favour more... The algae wafers are quite large so I just use half, I break it into pellet size peices or as small as possible then add during feeding.
In regards to hair algae, I used to just pull off the biggest with my fingers, then scrubbed with toothbrush before a water change/ filter clean, if you have alot then break this down into sections (I would not advise trying to remove all at once) you get alot of floating bits.
Clean maybe one rock/ section of a rock each week and you will soon be on top of it :)

Attachments

• IMG20231203174550.jpg
    IMG20231203174550.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 54

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back