What is this

  • Thread starter Thread starter whasamada
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

whasamada

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2025
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Location
Tulsa
What state or country do you live in
Oklahoma
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mini hospital tank i keep on standby. I saw this thing flittering in the tank. It only moves when disturbed, it moves kinda like a jellyfish then settles and sits on the bottom. What is this?
1000025333.jpg
 
It could be a hydroid of some kind. This is the "medusa" stage of a cnidarian. Jellyfish are another example of a medusa stage, but a different cnidarian.

It's unlikely that this is a true jellyfish. When I had something similar I attributed it to a hydroid. Either way, I never saw any cnidarians in the tank (other than my corals) other than this medusa stage. I don't believe it survived.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new