What is this

LittleLakeReef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2026
Messages
16
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20260716_102510_C9F4150A-E433-4555-BBA9-A00B270C4464.png

I’m unsure what this semi-translucent object is, it has grey/black veins/line markings through out it with what looks like a spot toward the middle maybe even top half and I never have noticed it until yesterday I’m curious what it is, does it need to be removed, is it beneficial or detrimental to my tank and what other hobbies typically do with whatever this is keep it remove it will it grow/move
 
From what I’ve seen they can Ben mostly beneficial depending on the species do most reefers remove or keep them
I’ve kept all of mine. Some remove it if they grow over coral, I’ve never experienced it.
 
I’ve kept all of mine. Some remove it if they grow over coral, I’ve never experienced it.
Had a black sponge once that grew around zoa polyps and literally choke them to death. I had to nuke the entire rock with bleach to remove it. Otherwise I only had beneficial sponges and the one in the picture looks fine for now.
 
Had a black sponge once that grew around zoa polyps and literally choke them to death. I had to nuke the entire rock with bleach to remove it. Otherwise I only had beneficial sponges and the one in the picture looks fine for now.
Ya those black sponges can be nasty.
 
All the sponges I had in my tank, I left them be
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new