What is up with these tangs?

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was at the Bass Pro shops today, picking up some fishing stuff, and I realized for the first time that they had Atlantic blues in their aquarium so I stopped to look and now all of a sudden I realize that every single one of them looked like this. What’s wrong with them? Is it HLLE? There was like six that look like this.

IMG_6571.jpeg IMG_6573.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was at the Bass Pro shops today, picking up some fishing stuff, and I realized for the first time that they had Atlantic blues in their aquarium so I stopped to look and now all of a sudden I realize that every single one of them looked like this. What’s wrong with them? Is it HLLE? There was like six that look like this.

IMG_6571.jpeg IMG_6573.jpeg
Yes that’s definitely HLLE. Pathetic that a big store like that can’t take basic care of their fish.

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s definitely HLLE. Pathetic that a big store like that can’t take basic care of their fish.
This is the one in dolphin Mall Miami. I’ve been to maybe 30 bass pros around the country and this is the only one that I’ve seen serious issues with their fish. All other fish looked fine with the exception of the tangs, I wonder if they do their own maintenance or they have somebody that comes in and does it for them.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is probably the worst case of HLLE I've ever seen...

I also remember that the aquacultured Hippo tangs at either the Georgia or mystic aquarium all had either HLLE or scars from past HLLE

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does BPS have tangs?
The tank is massive, I remember when this bass pro shop first opened it was full of green hair algae and I guess they put them in there for that reason, but they are literally the only tropical fish with the exception of lookdowns in the aquarium. All other fish are redfish, yellow tail snapper, a green Moray batfish, and some smaller groupers.

OP
OP
Ralph823

Ralph823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMO but this **** should be shut down
They should just stick to the freshwater fish which is what they’re known for. Although in Fort Myers Florida, I did see at least a 2000 gallon tank with thriving corals and reef fish. But it was part of the restaurant and not bass pro shops itself.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back